Linus76
Contributor
Contributor

VCB and Legato Storage Node

What would the correct setup be for using VCB and a storage node in Legato Networker. Does VCB get installed on the main Networker Server, or on the storage node that will be actually doing the backups, or both?

I didnt find anything in the docs relating to this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

My guess is it needs to be the Networker Server, since it has to call the application.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
Linus76
Contributor
Contributor

OK, heres how Im set up....had it working and now for some reason it doesnt....ugh.

My VCB proxy is a legato storage node. The storage nodes ability to backup has been tested, as recommended, and that is functioning A-OK.

When I start a job to backup a vm however, the following happens.

Snapshot is taken ok, and mounted ok. I can browse the mount points, but nothing happens as far as the backup job. I am using save_vcb.bat, as specified, and when i look on the storage node, the save.exe process is running. Looks like the save_vcb.bat goes through the mount portion ok, then launches the save.exe, but then nothing happens. Save.exe just sits, using no cpu, and about 5megs memory, but doesnt appear to do anything.

Any advice on this?

0 Kudos
oschistad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The way it's supposed to work is as follows;

On the networker server you make one or more client definitions of your VCB server. In addition, you set it up as a storage node for those clients (ie under globals(2) of the client def.)

Furthermore, you configure the backup command for this client def as save_vcb.bat.

Now, in order to actually perform a scheduled backup, you need to populate your client definition with savesets. In the way which VMware has chosen to implement this, you must specify one saveset per Virtual Machine, on the form VM::FULL

Lastly, that client must be made a member of a backup group so that it actually starts on a regular interval.

What will happen then is that when the backup group starts, the Legato module will run VCB once per save set (ie per VM you specified), snapshot and export the disks to the local folder you specified, and back this folder up to tape.

Make sure to read the documentation both for VCB and for the Legato module itself - there is some important info you won't find anywhere else.

Linus76
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I have most of that set up now, and the backups are running, but performance is EXCEPTIONALLY poor. Averaging less than 2MB/s and there are some very large VMs to back up.

I am doing file level, and require that level of granularity for the restoration. I will be relying on our NOC to do restores, so the process for recovering a single file needs to be as simple as possible. We've decided to put a backup agent on each VM, to allow that level of recovery.

Just cant figure out what is causing the bottleneck

0 Kudos