VMware Cloud Community
patwpage
Contributor
Contributor

VCB - What exactly does "export" virtual image file to VCB Proxy mean?

Would anyone mind telling me how the virtual image files are "exported" while doing a VCB backup?

I have a location at F:\MNT that they all go into.

The Proxy sees the same luns that store the vm files.

Seems to me like this is a local copy from the Luns the proxy can see to the local windows folder also on the proxy. For a local copy, it seems a little pokey. Are we sure this isn't going over the network from the ESX host to the proxy?

It is slow because it has to convert from a vmfs file system to a windows file system to export it?

Just wanted to make sure the network is staying out of this.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

There is no network need for VCB, unless you are using a DNS name for identification. Even then it just verifies the VM. Past that, it all happens over the fibre-channel network.

Basically an export of VMDKs are like this:

Create file of # size

Zero out data on disk for file

Fill file with data

That process happens for every file that is exported via VCB, so VMX, logs & VMDK files.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
patwpage
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks much! That makes perfect sense.

0 Kudos
dhteufel
Contributor
Contributor

I can see the exported images on my proxy mount point

ie: D:\mnt\ServerA\*.vmdk etc.

How can Identify them on the LUN? They do not show up on the Virtual Center console under the VMFS file system. I see a folder for all virtual servers assigned to the LUN and that is all.

I know the image is placed on the same LUN as the orginal virtual server but that is not enough. How do I verify exactly where the image is located?

If it is copied/exported to the LUN it must have some means of identification and a file size. Just cannot see it.

0 Kudos