VMware Cloud Community
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VCB Username and password

The Virtual Machine Backup Guide and other docs state that the vcenter username and password can be placed in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Consolidated

Backup\Password, but I can't find what type of value (String, Dword) or what the value names are. I'm guessing that they're string values named USERNAME and PASSWORD, but I'd love to know for sure. Thanks.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

String

The manual also states:

You can configure Consolidated Backup to use Security Support Provider

Interface (SSPI) for authentication.

I would use that instead of a name / password. You wil want your VCB to be intergrated with VCenter using that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

String

The manual also states:

You can configure Consolidated Backup to use Security Support Provider

Interface (SSPI) for authentication.

I would use that instead of a name / password. You wil want your VCB to be intergrated with VCenter using that.

0 Kudos
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK, thanks.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
0 Kudos
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So I'm setting up the vcb user account in vcenter. Am I only adding permission for that user to the VCenter object (which is a VM)? I don't need to assign permissions to ESX servers or other VMs to be backed up, do I? Also, is the __sspi__ setting in the config.js file or the newly created reg key? Thanks.

0 Kudos