mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB Proxy Backup Software Agent Licences

Jump to solution

If I use VMware Consolidated Backup VCB on a proxy server to back up my ESX hosted machines do i need a backup agent licence for each VM or do i just need 1 agent licence for the proxy server?

I'm a bit confused because if the vm is mounted to the proxy server by VCB wouldn't it count as 1 agent licence so if i scheduled it right I could limit the number of agents I needed to backup my vm's or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes. the can be the same, and in most case. they are the same.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you only need one client license for windows and a backup server license, and you can backup unlimited VMs, because you are backing up the data proxy (windows) see.

0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just so i have it clear when you say unlimited VM's you are talking about VCB's licensing requirements right (so VCB doesn't limit the number of VM's i can back up), Do you know if the same appllies to the backup software agents from symantec/veritas and others that interact with the VMs?

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the same applies to backup software. VCB proxy is a windows physical machine, so for backup software, e.g, veritas NBU, commvauly etc, you only need 2 license, 1 for backup server(the VCB proxy) and 1 windows client license. if you also attach a physical tape or VTL to this proxy, you need a additional backup to tape license.

mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can the proxy server and the backup server be the same physical machine too?

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes. the can be the same, and in most case. they are the same.

0 Kudos