VMware Cloud Community
Kiil
Contributor
Contributor

VCB & NetWorker - file-level backups

Hi,

don't know if this is the right discussion group, but I try Smiley Happy

Heres the thing:

We got 3 ESXi (version 3.5.0 build 110271) in one cluster and 2 ESX (version 3.5.0 build 110181) in another cluster. And, of cause we've got Virtual Center to manage this. For backup we use EMC Networker 7.4.3 and VMware Consolidated Backup 1.5 on a separate server with the SAN LUNs attached.

All together there are about 70 VM's, where 50 of them are running MS Windows. I want to backup these MS Windows VM's with VCB, and at the same time maybe save some NetWorker client licenses.

I've managed to backup VM's, both FULL and FILE-LEVEL via the VCB Proxy. The problem is, I want to backup files from several VM's in the same backup-job/save set. But then all the files seems to belong to the VCB Proxy server. This means, I'm not able to sparate which VM's the files and folders belong to. Is this possible to do with VCB and NetWorker without making aliases for clients to backup (who steals licenses) ?

Example:

Want to backup c:\program files at Test_VM_1 and Test_VM_2.

VCB Proxy servers name: vcb_proxy.company.com

save set wil then be as follows:

VM:Test_VM_1:C\Program Files

VM:Test_VM_2:C\Program Files

NetWorker sends these commands to VCB Proxy, who snapshot, mount and copy the files locally...where NetWorker grab the files. Now, after successfully backup the specified directories, browse the content for restore I'll just find the files backup under "vcb_proxy.company.com:C:\Program Files". This is the problem...are there any way to backup several VM's in the same backupjob/save set and make it possible to separate the VM's backuped files form each other ?

Like this:

VCB_PROXY.COMPANY.COM

- Test_VM_1

- c:\program files

- c:\documents and settings

- c:\etc

- Test_VM_2

- c:\program files

- c:\etc

Thanks for helping!

Regards

Kiil