VMware Cloud Community
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VCB Launcher limit?

is there a limit to the number of instances of VCB launcher that can be run at the same time?

We're doing a test of VCB with ESX Ranger. Everything is working. We wanted to see how many VMs we could back up at once before killing our server. I set the limits in ESX Ranger (# of hosts, # of LUNs, etc.) to do 25 at once. When I fire off a backup of 12 VMs at once, it looks like VCB Launcher will only run 2 instances at a time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ahhh ha!

That's what I was getting at without saying it. I remember having a conversation with Kix about what was realistics, but now also remember the GUI limiting you to 4. It's possible the CLI command could be edited afterwards I guess? Not sure if the same would happen.

Kix?

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think I have ever seen firm numbers from VMware on the limitations, at least not in their documentation. In general I see it run up to about 10 at a time over standard 1GB Fibre. Keep in mind that that number will still use the finite amount of bandwidth, so you will get more jobs running, but it should still take the same time.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>I set the limits in ESX Ranger (# of hosts, # of LUNs, etc.) to do 25 at once

What about the limits on the VCB tab? Did you also increase that number? I think it defaults to 2 (depending on the version)

Dave

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

>I set the limits in ESX Ranger (# of hosts, # of

LUNs, etc.) to do 25 at once

What about the limits on the VCB tab? Did you also

increase that number? I think it defaults to 2

(depending on the version)

Dave

Yes, I increased everything in ESX Ranger.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think I found the issue. I haven't tested it yet but, here's my theory. In ESX Ranger there's a setting for the maximum number of VCB backups. If you hit the up and down arrow next to the box, it goes up to a maximum of 4. I really wanted to beat this server to death before we roll it into production so, I manually typed "25" in the box. It seemed to take it. What I think happened is that it only read the "2". I'll test that and let everyone know.

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ahhh ha!

That's what I was getting at without saying it. I remember having a conversation with Kix about what was realistics, but now also remember the GUI limiting you to 4. It's possible the CLI command could be edited afterwards I guess? Not sure if the same would happen.

Kix?

Dave

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ahhh ha!

That's what I was getting at without saying it. I

remember having a conversation with Kix about what

was realistics, but now also remember the GUI

limiting you to 4. It's possible the CLI command

could be edited afterwards I guess? Not sure if the

same would happen.

Kix?

Dave

Well .... they really shouldn't let that field be manually edited anyway but, that was the issue.

0 Kudos