VMware Cloud Community
seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB Full VM Backup Issue

Hi,

I am using VCB 1.0.2 and having problems running a full VM backup and was looking for some helpful guidance.

I can successfully use vcbmounter to mount a VM for file-level backup, however I cannot mount a full-VM image. When I execute the command;

vcbmounter -h 150.12.1.1 -u administrator -p vmware -a name:W2K3VM3 -r c:\backups\W2K3VM3 -t fullvm

The user is authenticated, the snapshot created and the export started however the following error appears;

\[2007-08-08] 19:01:04.178 'vcbmounter' 5476 info] Mount operation obtained backup info.

\[2007-08-08] 19:01:04.178 'vcbmounter' 5476 info] Creating export directory

\[2007-08-08] 19:01:04.178 'vcbmounter' 5476 info] Writing restore config file

\[2007-08-08] 19:01:05.124 'vcbmounter' 5476 info] Exporting VM config files

Copying "\[VMFS-1] W2K3VM3/W2Kvm3.vmx":

0%===============50%=================100%

\[2007-08-08] 19:01:05.124 'vcbmounter' 5476 info] Error: Could not back up config file: \[VMFS-1] W2K3VM3/W2Kvm3.vmx

\[2007-08-08] 19:01:05.124 'vcbmounter' 5476 info] An error occurred, cleaning up...

\[2007-08-08] 19:01:05.225 'vcbmounter' 5476 info] ...done

As mentioned, I can use vcbmounter to mount the same VM for file-level backup so my LUN IDs match and I can create snapshots in VC.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

DK

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Check the permissions of your destination drive.... and besure the running user has access to the location.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the drive is a local drive and the user has local Administrator permissions. As mentioned, I can mount a file-level backup but just not the full-VM.

0 Kudos
seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This looks like a permissions issue as I was able to successfully mount a full-VM connecting directly to the ESX host and using the root username and password. Previously I was trying to connect to the VirtualCenter server using a Datacenter administrator account. Will investigate more and post with a solution if found.

In the mean time, any suggestions would be appreciated if someone has seen this previously.

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

This could occur if you have two .vmdk files associated with the VM located in different directories, but with the same name. Just something to check..

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately not... unique .vmdk files for all VMs...

0 Kudos
seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The weird thing is that I can login to VirtualCenter using the account I'm using for VCB and run a snapshot successfully. However using the same account via vcbmounter does not work. Still testing away...

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Double check to make sure that the VCB user has the following VC permissions:

Privilege[/b]:

Object

Virtual Machine > Configuration > Disk Lease[/b]:

The virtual machines to be backed up, a folder of virtual machines, or the datacenter containing

the virtual machines.

Virtual Machine > State > Create Snapshot[/b]:

The virtual machines to be backed up, a folder of virtual machines, or the datacenter containing

the virtual machines.

Virtual Machine > State > Remove Snapshot[/b]:

the virtual machines.

Virtual Machine > Provisioning > Allow Virtual Machine Download[/b]:

the virtual machines.

seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the VCB user has these permissions. I have also tried using a full Administrator with no luck.

However, connecting directly to the ESX host and using the root account works fine so it does look like an issue with VC permissions or similar!

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From a command line type "echo %TEMP%"

Browse to that directory and there will be logs for the VCB job in there. They should be more detailed. Post what you find and I'll try to help figure it out.

0 Kudos
seniord
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have resolved this issue by upgrading to the latest version of VCB!! Many thanks for your replies and suggestions.

0 Kudos
DetlevP
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same issue with ESX 3.5 Update 2, VC 2.5 and VCB 1.5

Consolidated Backup works only if connecting to the Vmhost with the root account, directly. Connecting via VC doesn't even if all permissions are granted.

Should I try to create an ESX Account with the name of the Backup Proxy User

Any ideas are welcome.

Detlev

0 Kudos