VMware Cloud Community
sabry
Contributor
Contributor

VCB First installation ..What's happened ?

Hi everybody

I have a problems with VCB installation (my first installation)

I installed VCB on proxy with automount disable and automount scrub(see page 34 on manual) but after shutdown/reboot I see 20 of 21 partition (disk manager) in this way

Online healthy (unknow partition)

But 1

Online healthy (Active)[/b]

My question is why 1 partition (in the middle of chain) is active ?

I'm very afraid because I fear to lose my date on this partition in this moment I can see the data but I fear that windows has "marked" this partition .Please help me understand what happened .

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BartV77
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

we have the same problem. There is one LUN that is presented as "Healthy (Active)" instead of "Healthy (Unknown Partition)".

When we try to backup VM's that are running on this LUN, we get the following error message on our Networker backup server:

'vcbMounter' 3176 error] Error: Error while opening disk blklst://snapshot-11498[xxx] : A virtual disk could not be opened. -- Cannot open disk file: Error : Disk library failed (Unspecified error). Unable to open 'blklst://snapshot-11498[xxx] . Failed to configure disk scsi0:0.

I disabled the automount via diskpart. This setting should be active for LUN's that were added after I disabled the automount, right ?

Regards,

Bart

0 Kudos
ianashley
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue as above -- some LUNs are showing as "Healthy (Active)" in Windows Disk Management. I haven't tried backing up any VMs on these LUNs in fear that I may corrupt it. Anyone know the fix to this?

0 Kudos
RaBalder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure it is the same, but have had something similar.

In DiskManager on the proxy I could see all LUN's but some had a read circle on them.

The reason for this was that the proxy hung on only one of the SP (A) on the SAN. Those LUNs attached to this SP-A was available and worked in CB when trying to run backups.

Those with the red circle on the was assigned to the other SP (B) on the SAN. These LUN's did not work with CB at all.

Sollution: All luns on the SAN which CB should use was moved to a single SP. Then all LUN's was visible and worked from CB.

0 Kudos
BartV77
Contributor
Contributor

I thought about the controllers in our storage box too.

The funny thing is that both the LUNs showing (Active) and (Unknown Partition) are on the same controller.

And since the VCB proxy is single-attached, we are sure that both LUNs are accessed via the same path.

Regards,

Bart

0 Kudos
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our san group has an option to define how these luns are presented to the vcb server. They set it to "windows" instead of "lnxcl" I believe it was for the esx hosts. Does this sound correct?

My disks on the vcb proxy are showing a red circle, unknown, not initialized and unallocated. I am getting the following error when issuing a vcbmounter cmb.

Error: Failed to open the disk

: One LUN could not be opened

0 Kudos