VMware Cloud Community
Brock
Contributor
Contributor

VC2 adding permissions from other domains

I thought I had found the answer in other Threads but I've had no luck so I'm re-editing this back in.

When I try to grant permissions to an AD account from another domain I get stuck because the other domain shows a blank user list. I have a non-transitive 2 way trust between the two domains and I believe I can resolve both ways. What else should I check?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

you can only add permissions for which the VC is a member of that domain. You can't add external domain accounts.

Message was edited by: RDellimmagine to correct title

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you have a trust between the domains, things should work. I know we have users from multiple domains accessing VC resources. However, we grant permission assignments using Local groups on the VC server. So, if you can add your X_domain_user to Y_domain_member_server_Group_Z, you should be golden.

Edit: That said, when I pull up our other domains in VC, the list is populated with users/groups. This is not the case for you. Perhaps our standard way of assigning permissions will still work for you?

0 Kudos
Brock
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tips. I was able to add permissions to VC by creating a local security group and adding users from the other domain to that local security group.

I'm not too worried about it but I'd love to know what is preventing me from adding the permissions directly.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

When I browse a different domain, the list is not populated as well. I can however enter the user account and click "search" and the user account can be added.

0 Kudos
Brock
Contributor
Contributor

You are right, that does work! I assumed it didn't work since it wasn't reacting in the same fashion as for the domain that VC belongs to!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Brock
Contributor
Contributor

Ack, I wont be able to assign points since I didn't mark this as a question Heart

Well.. Thanks!

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No problem... Happy to help.

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

No worries Amigo! Just glad I can be of assistance!

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just curious, what version of VC are you running? I'm on 2.0.2.

If you both are on 2.5, perhaps its an issue with the updated platform?

0 Kudos
espi3030
Expert
Expert

I am currently running VIC v 2.0.2 Build 62327.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

Let's not delete this thread. It contains useful information others may benefit from in a forum search.

Jas

Jason Boche

VMware Communities User Moderator

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

> Let's not delete this thread.

Agreed sir. I don't understand why RP's subject is as so... my guess is a mistaken cut/paste or some such.

0 Kudos