VMware Cloud Community
CWedge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC2.5u3 Is OUT, Feedback thread?

Just called Support trying to troubleshoot the garbage VC2.5u2 install process and they tell us u3 is out!

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

Let us know

On a side note, VMware should be ashamed that we have to speak of thier updates like this. This is just unacceptable for an "Enterprise Application"

0 Kudos
63 Replies
Dollar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have had the same issue with the Update Manager Plug-In bugging out, but that only affects your client "plug-in" to the service. The service remains functional and any scheduled jobs will launch and run. I processed scheduled updates on 114 hosts. These jobs never failed to launch and succeed even with the client "plug-in" issues occuring.

0 Kudos
GFFG
Contributor
Contributor

Do you automate the update of esx servers or just the Virtual Machines. If so what O/S within the Vm do you automate? The only automation I have is checking for updates and notifying me so I may perform a manual update. Thanks, by the way my plug in unloaded itself today.

Kyle

0 Kudos
Dollar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I only use Update Manager to manage updates to my Host Servers, not my VMs. As far as the upgrade to U3 goes, Update Manager performed the update to all of my hosts (over 150 in all), with almost all of that occuring by scheduling the updates via Update Manager and (me) going home. Update Manager did the rest. I just checked on it the following morning to ensure it worked. I only had two hosts fail in the ugprade. Of those two hosts, one I had to reboot and rerun the upgrade, the second I only re-ran the upgrade.

To update VMs themselves, I use Shavlik. About 95% of my VMs are Windows Servers. To update VMTools on my VMs, I use Altiris.

0 Kudos
GFFG
Contributor
Contributor

Wow 150 hosts, I'd say yah you'd need some automation. I only have a 2 in a cluster so I just manually run "remediate - now both baselines". Almost all the time one node has to have "HA" reconfigured or I have to take the HOST out of MAIT. MODE.

So you have a task that automatically remediates critical and non critical patches on the cluster for all ESX HOSTS at a set time each week? How do you ensure vm's stay up and running if the kick off starts all at the same time? All hosts would reboot at the same time? Thanks for tip on slavik and alteris!!!

Kyle

0 Kudos