vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  VC user rights

Posted Jul 12, 2007 11:18 AM

I'm looking for info how to use the role template "Resource Pool

Administrator" in virtual center.

For example i have one ESX 3 server where two VMs are installed and which shouldn't be touched from a new person. But that person should be able to create some new VMs ad should be able do poweron poweroff and delete this VMs. So i thought there is the right "Resource Pool

Administrator" - lets create a resource pool for the two existing VMs and one for the new user where he is Pool Admin- - but that does not work because he is not able to create a machine. I made a workaround now and gave the user more rights on ESX server level and reduced the rights on the level of the two VMs.

But what for is that role then?

Mike

• 2.  RE: VC user rights

Posted Jul 12, 2007 11:27 AM

Hello,

The permissions for roles can get pretty granular. What it sounds like you can do in your case is use folders to organize your virtual machine. Then create some custom roles, you can copy some existing one as a base and edit or start from scratch, and place those roles on the various folders. Some folders/virtual machines users will have access to and others not.

There are some not so obvious permissions folks will need who create vms:

customizations and datastore browsing require those permissions to be set at the highest level ( datacenters )

It will probably be a little trial and error beore you get it exactly right but you can definitely do what you are asking.

Here is a god doc to et you starter: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vc_roles.pdf

• 3.  RE: VC user rights

Posted Jul 12, 2007 11:30 AM

Did he try to create the new vm with the container, where you asigned him with respool role ?

It seems to me that he tried to create the vm at the root of vc.

Regards Spex

• 4.  RE: VC user rights

Posted Jul 17, 2007 10:34 AM

He tried to create the Vm in the Resource pool what does not work because it seems that with the right of an Resource pool administrator on the resource pool the create rights on the ESX server level is missing. But what fore is the Resource pool administrator role then?

Mike

• 5.  RE: VC user rights

Posted Jul 17, 2007 11:25 AM

Hello,

Did you follow my post? It should help you get going.

• 6.  RE: VC user rights
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 17, 2007 03:52 PM

Hello,

In order for another user to create VMs, they need to be a Virtual Machine Administrator on a Datacenter or a Folder within the Virtual Machines and Templates inventory pane. If you try to set this capability on a Resource pool under the Hosts and Clusters inventory pane it will not work as expected.

A resource administrator can manipulate resources. A VM Administrator can manipulate VMs. They are definitely not the same. It sounds like you want to use both roles for the one user. Which is possible.

Best regards,

Edward