VMware Cloud Community
AndyE
Contributor
Contributor

VC showing high CPU load after P2V NT 4.0 Workstation

Hello

I just finished converting a physical Windows NT 4.0 Workstation computer (SP6a) into ESX3.5i (120505) using the Enterprise Converter.

All went well so far, vmware tools are installed. In VC (2.5U3) however the VM is constantly at 100% CPU load. Taskmanager in the VM itself though

shows no load

Already uninstalled any old display drivers etc etc, but that didnt help at all, uninstalled, reinstalled vmtools.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Andy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What HAL are your running? Was the original machine multiprocessor and are you no running with a single vcpu?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Also make sure to remove unnecessary devices to clean up all the junks. P2V is straight but having HAL differences can cause tremendous performance issue and you can take a look at best practices on P2V using www.vmware-land.com/converter.html for details.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
AndyE
Contributor
Contributor

The tip with the hal was a good one. Obviously i had replaced the original hal.dll with the softex hal.dll to overcome

the "cant shutdown a nt computer". So going back to the original hal.dll helped.

thanks a lot!

Andy

0 Kudos