VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC server Hard Drive partition names..

My VC is a VM and it has 2 partitions, C and E, but time to time I notice C:\ will show it's name completely different, sometime it will show as the host name, some time it will show c:\ name as Favorites, and when I double click on an icon it will display all the folders... my question is, why the status of hard disk drives is keep changing to different names? thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure to understand your question.

Each time you watch to C:\ you see different folder name?

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What is the C: drive's name in Properties? Is it shared?

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

C drive name is Local disk.. and the data is on the SAN..

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

your vCenter Server is a VM? If so, are you talking about the NTFS volumes not matching the VMFS names? Like C: says local disk on the Windows device but says something different for the .vmdk name?

0 Kudos
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I still can't really understand what's going on... Can you attach couple of screen shots with the different names you see?

0 Kudos
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's what I'm thinking - in Windows C: drive has one label, it might be shared to the network with the different name and vmdk file has the name of the VM (if VM has not been renamed after creation)...

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Isn't this a generic Windows problem instead of a vCenter issue?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes.. vmdk name is different and C drive name is local disk.

I did try to attach the screen shot,but it does show the changed name ..it's weird.. some time Local Disk lable will show as a host name, some time will show Delete, and so on.. I looked at the event log, dont see anything. I logged out from a VC, and log back in ... everything is normal, but wondering why is it happening time by time?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

i'm lost.....

reboot your vCenter Server, and restart hostd and/or the vCenter Management agents on the ESX Host in which vCenter is being hosted on.

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok will do and notif you later, can't reboot vc rightnow. thanks for your help

0 Kudos
VladN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you sure nobody is playing some kind of prank on you using script (don't know if that's possible) to change c: drive's label?

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes I am sure nobody is playing any prank, only 2 users have access to VC server. I checked all the windows logs but did not find anything.... so I thought to post here maybe someone have seen this weird issue before...

0 Kudos