VMware Cloud Community
dipe
Contributor
Contributor

VC license within the same organization?

We got some info that Virtual Center Licenses need to be purchased only once per organization even if they are installed on different servers? I read the licensing white papers and faq but could not find anything

Our case: We purchased VI3 but not VC2 yet. Another IT group within the same company already has a VC2 installation.

\* Can we use their license for our separate VC2 install or do we need to purchase our own?

\* Do need to get our own license file or can we use theirs ?

Could someone from VMware answer this?

Thanks much

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/virtualcenter.html

VMware grants you a nonexclusive, nontransferable license, without rights to sublicense, to :smileyinfo: use the Software License Keys to activate Servers for management by the VirtualCenter Management Server Software and/or management by the Additional Module; (ii) install or have installed a single instance of the VirtualCenter Management Server Software on a single Server, unless permitted to have multiple instances on a single Server or to have multiple instances on multiple Servers by the payment of applicable license fees[/b] (whether such fees are based on a per Processor, a per Virtual Machine, a per user or any other VMware approved licensing model);...[/i]

You need to license each VC instance.[/b]

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.