VMware Cloud Community
Tree_Dude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC having performance trouble

Hi guys (and gals),

We recently had our main ESX server admin quit. I have some knowledge of ESX, but more in terms of using it. I have not really installed/updated many VMware products.

So we have 3 ESX servers, with about 30 VMs between them all, which are accessed through the VC (version 2.5.0.64207). The VC is a VM on one of the servers. It has 20gb of HD space, 1 CPU (Xeon 5440 2.8ghz) and 1.5gb of RAM. It is using a local SQL database because our main SQL server is maxed and we can't put anymore databases on it (I am trying to get a new one, but the budget is tight).

The issue is the VC spikes to 100% CPU every so often and wont accept any more connections. Those already connected cant get into any more VMs (if you are currently in one, you are ok though). It has gotten progressively worse and I would like to try and fix it. So I have a few questions.

1. We have SQL 2005 express SP2 installed. Would installing SP3 have any effect on performance? Is it even supported?

2. Do you think upgrading to the last version would improve or hurt performance? I am not sure if the added features and database entries would cause the situation to worsen.

3. If updating would help, is it pretty strait forward? Just backup the database and run the installer?

Thanks for your help everyone.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It would be nice to know if this VC server was "upgraded" to the current version it is at currently... check out this Doc....

PROBLEM

After upgrading from Virtual Center 2.x with a MSDE Database to Virtual

Center 2.5 with a MS SQL Server (Express, Standard or Enterprise) your

database server has increasingly lengthy periods of very high CPU

utilisation and may become unresponsive.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-3290

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Whoaaaa.....Before doing upgrades, I would try to understand what is causing the CPU spikes, I doubt it would be due to a db version based on what you have stated.

Here is a link to the docs re:supported versions...

Run perfmon, or watch the server with task manager open to see what process(es) are spiking.

Are your users connecting with the virtual center client and using the console within the VI client? If so how many users? This functionality is not meant as an RDP for large scale usage, meant more as a RIB/remote console tool - when you cannot connect to a virtual server using rdp, ssh, etc...

0 Kudos
Tree_Dude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is the sqlserver process which is spiking.

We have about 7 users who access it daily. We use the VI client because it is a whole lot more convenient than RDPing into each individual server.

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It would be nice to know if this VC server was "upgraded" to the current version it is at currently... check out this Doc....

PROBLEM

After upgrading from Virtual Center 2.x with a MSDE Database to Virtual

Center 2.5 with a MS SQL Server (Express, Standard or Enterprise) your

database server has increasingly lengthy periods of very high CPU

utilisation and may become unresponsive.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-3290

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
Tree_Dude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. That was the issue.

As I said we had an admin that took care of all this before. So I am not 100% sure if it was upgraded, though I am pretty sure it was.

I am going to use the workaround for now. I am guessing I will loose long term performance data, but that is not a big deal. I will perform the proper resolution another time.

0 Kudos