VMware Cloud Community
lgsiang1
Contributor
Contributor

VC error

Hi All,

Anyone encounter this error before.

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Check database connectivity before restarting. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (40001) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Transaction (Process ID 103) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction." is returned when executing SQL statement "SELECT vpx_vm.id FROM vpx_vm LEFT JOIN vpx_ip_address ON vpx_vm.id = vpx_ip_address.entity_id WHERE (vpx_vm.ip_address = ? OR vpx_ip_address.ip_address = ?) AND

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert

Looking at the SQL error it sounds like some resources maybe a table/row was locked, something had to be killed off to fix the situation so it killed that select query. There was maybe a insert/update query taking too long.

Is the database server under heavy load?

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
joviyach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As Andy said, this is usually some conflict on a table/row in a SQL database where two or more users or process try to execute the query at the same exact time.

I used to see this more often than I care to admit at a former employer. The issue there was that the call tracking system was running on one extremely overloaded SQL box, and every so often you would have two (or more) people trying to either view or assign the same case at the same time and only one of the users of course comes away with the task, the other(s) get the "deadlock victim" error.

lgsiang1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Is there any solution for this issue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
joviyach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did not personally oversee the solution at my former employer, but I believe their SQL issues were eventually resolved by a combination of upgrading from SQL 7 to SQL 2000 and clustering the SQL servers.

Another thing to check would be whether or not the SQL agent/service is running or not at the time of the error, though admittedly I am much better at troubleshooting SQL than VC at the moment and others may have some suggestions more specific to VC.

0 Kudos