VMware Cloud Community
mystefix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC die randomly and the windows event viewer show the following error

Hi,

in the last time we are experience a lot of vc crashes and the windows event viewer shows the following error:

ORA-01483: invalid length for DATE or NUMBER bind variable

" is returned when executing SQL statement "UPDATE VPX_VM SET TOOLS_STATUS = ? , TOOLS_VERSION = ? , GUEST_OS = ? , GUEST_FAMILY = ? , GUEST_STATE = ? , DNS_NAME = ? , IP_ADDRESS = ? WHERE ID = ?".

Ora]ORA-12899: value too large for column "VPXADMIN"."VPX_VM"."IP_ADDRESS" (actual: 40, maximum: 16)

" is returned when executing SQL statement "UPDATE VPX_VM SET TOOLS_STATUS = ? , TOOLS_VERSION = ? , GUEST_OS = ? , GUEST_FAMILY = ? , GUEST_STATE = ? , DNS_NAME = ? , IP_ADDRESS = ? WHERE ID = ?".

We didn't update or change the vmware esx/vc or oracle software.

Has anyone the same failure or have a solutio/fix for this problem ?

Environment:

Oracle DB 10.2.0.3

Virtual Center 2.5 U3

Vmware ESX Cluster

1x Vmware ESX 3.5 Server Patchlevel 143128

3x Vmware ESX 3.5 Server Patchlevel 123630

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is a known oracle-10.2.0.3 bug. Either Upgrade to 10.2.0.4 or install the Oracle patches 6085625 and 6452485 (as far as I remember you only need one of them, but at the moment I can't tell which one Smiley Wink

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

HI,

on which ESX is your vc running Patchlevel 143128 or Patchlevel 123630.

Have you updated your vmtolls?

You shold have all of your host the same patchlevel!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mystefix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the vc is running on an ESX with Patchlevel 123630. and vc said that all vmware tools are OK and not outdated

I'm a little bit suprised, because this environment run without any erorrs many months.

The only thing that we changed is, that we added two additional nfs shares and begans to transfer the virutal machines to the new nfs share.

But where is the connection between this moving and the ora failures ?

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am right, that you are running oracle as database?

Have you changed anything in your database, the DSN Connection or a different patch version, was installed?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VPXADMIN"."VPX_VM"."IP_ADDRESS" (actual: 40, maximum: 16)

The field IP Adress is only 16 field long in the database, and your IP Adress has 40 figures!!!

Are you using IPv6??

Why has your IP_Adress 40 signs?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mystefix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, i use an oracle database and this is installed local on the vc.

No, i don't use IPv6.

The last question is a good question Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What is your IP called of this vm?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mystefix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I only see this question marks, how can i find out the vm and its ip address?

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Mark your VM, and on the right side under thr tab IP Adresses: --> what is there standing?

If you are able to, open you database per gui, go in your vcenter db, the table VPX_VM, browse through ans look if there are any entries with more than 16 signs!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is a known oracle-10.2.0.3 bug. Either Upgrade to 10.2.0.4 or install the Oracle patches 6085625 and 6452485 (as far as I remember you only need one of them, but at the moment I can't tell which one Smiley Wink

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
mystefix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@feif

thank you for this information !

After applying patchset 10.2.0.4 to the oracle installation the failure was gone Smiley Happy

0 Kudos