VMware Cloud Community
ief
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC database SQL 2005 Express or SQL 2005 standard?

I am looking at the differences of choosing between SQL 2005 Express or SQL 2005 standard for the VC database and Update Manager.

The statement of VMware is:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express is intended to be used for small deployments of up to 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines.

What are there other differences and what are your expriences of choosing between SQL 2005 Express or SQL 2005 standard?

blog www.ivobeerens.nl
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The main difference is performance. SQL express can only use 1 processor, 1Gb memory, and database size of 4Gb. SQL 2005 Standard can use 4 processors, Maximum OS available memory, Unlimited database space. Here is a good comparison of the two  http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Feltrek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am actually curious as to this as well.

We currently have 5 hosts and up towards 120 Guests. I find myself having to restart the Virtual Center Service often to resolve time-out related issues when interacting through Virtual Center and or after queueing up an extensive amount of migrations etc.

Our virtual center hardware is a DL140, Dual-core XEON with 4GB. Windows XP with SQL 2005 Express.

0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The main difference is performance. SQL express can only use 1 processor, 1Gb memory, and database size of 4Gb. SQL 2005 Standard can use 4 processors, Maximum OS available memory, Unlimited database space. Here is a good comparison of the two  http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos