VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

VC / VIC Consolidation Settings

I reinstalled VC 2.5. I had this working before yesterday, now with the new install, I can't see "Administration -> Consolidation settings" in the client any longer. What did I miss during the install of VC?

Nothing else change, my clien is the same, but connecting to the old VC server, I can see it, but the new VC server I cannot.

Also how do we use capacity planner? I installed it, but where do we run it from?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, Did you ever get your consolidation stuff back? I did a repair on my VC 2.5 and it wiped out both my consolidation and update manager stuff. I had to manually remove UM and reinstall it to get Update Manager back but it lost all my settings. I have not been able to get the consolidation stuff back either.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I had to reinstall VC from scratch again, it turns out that my .NET was not at version 2 SP1, and that was part of the problem. After I reinstalled, the vcserver install automatically installs the consolidate portion so alll of this is now working.

I didn't lose any settings. But you might run windows update, make sure all the .NET stuff is up to date along with any other patches, and reboot the machine. Then reinstall VC, I would make a backup of the database just to be safe, but you shouldn't lose any settings.

0 Kudos
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

I too lost the consolidated portion of vc2.5 today. The vc server is running .net V2.0.50727, but I don't know what sp? How do I check that?

0 Kudos
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

The consolidated portion of vc2.5 returned after a reboot of the "virtual center server", but still no idea what caused it.

0 Kudos
garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just installed a new server and installed VC 2.5 but when I run up the VIC I don't see the consolidator button at all. Running .net v2 (not sure if it has an sp installed on top - how do I tell and do I need it or will v2 be good enough ? What else do I need to make Consolidator visible ?

Gary

0 Kudos
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

Is the plugin installed? If not, you have to install it and then enable it. The "plugins" tab is at the of the VC client.

garybrown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no plugin ! I thought there were only plugins for Update Manager and Converter

0 Kudos
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

My bad.....I just double checked. You are correct.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure .NET 2.0 w/ SP1 is installed, and SP2 for Windows, and then it works fine, install the VC which will in turn install the CP.

0 Kudos
M_26
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Regarding the Consolidation tool, did you ever get it back ?

Have you tried to install the Consolidation utility from the VC 2.5 cd ?

You find it in the patch on the cd : /vpx/CapacityPlanner.exe.

I made a mistake of uninstalling CapacityPlanner, and I tried to do a repair but that doesnt seem to repair the Capacityplanner part. But after doing a check from the CD I found the .exe file. I run the installation and got Capacityplanner back on track.

But I also have the problem that all servers have the "Preparing for analysis" and some "Collecting system information" state.

Have someone get this tool to work ?

0 Kudos