VMware Cloud Community
achester
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC Server Service stops when SQL cluster fails over to restart

Maybe you guys could help me with something.

We have a SQL 2005 server cluster that goes down for a nightly reboot. The process is to fail over to node2, restart node1, failover back to node1 and restart node2. The Virtual center service stops when the first failover occurs. I have set the Virtual Center Server service to restart after 5 minutes to resume logging.

Is there a better way to keep the VI Server service running or is there a way to keep the service from shutting down with the SQL failover?

We are on Virtual Center Server 2.0.1 Build 40644

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EnsignA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I beleive this is fixed in VC 2.0.1 patch 2. The VC service will try to restart and reconnect to the DB at regular intervals. Check the release notes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CWedge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maybe you guys could help me with something.

We have a SQL 2005 server cluster that goes down for

a nightly reboot. The process is to fail over to

node2, restart node1, failover back to node1 and

restart node2. The Virtual center service stops when

the first failover occurs. I have set the Virtual

Center Server service to restart after 5 minutes to

resume logging.

Is there a better way to keep the VI Server service

running or is there a way to keep the service from

shutting down with the SQL failover?

We are on Virtual Center Server 2.0.1 Build 40644

Are you pointing the VC to the Cluster or the single node?

To me, VC shouldn't even know Node1 is going down. Hence the whole point of clustering??

achester
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes. Virtual Center is pointed to the cluster. I would not expect it to terminate unexpectedly but it does.

0 Kudos
EnsignA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I beleive this is fixed in VC 2.0.1 patch 2. The VC service will try to restart and reconnect to the DB at regular intervals. Check the release notes.

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe EnsignA is correct. See release notes:

"VirtualCenter Service Can Be Configured to Re-start Automatically. In previous releases, when the VirtualCenter database server went off-line for any reason, the VirtualCenter service shut down with a normal termination signal, and because the termination signal was deemed normal, the Windows Service Control Manager never attempted to restart the VirtualCenter service. With this release, the service recovery options can be configured to restart the VirtualCenter Server service automatically when this type of event occurs. By default, the service is configured to restart once, but you can modify the VMware VirtualCenter Server service control panel’s Recovery settings to restart after second failure and subsequent failures if you like."

achester
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is how I have it configured currently. Thanks for the information! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better way of setting it up.

0 Kudos