VMware Cloud Community
renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC Server Service not starting Tried many times

Brand new install of VC on a brand new Intel 5000 va server running Windows 2K3 R2 Standard. The only thing running on the box is VC - no antivirus. Each time when we reboot the hardware the Virtual Center Service fails to start. It is set to use the system account and to automatic. If we go to the services applet and start it, does not start. . Event Viewer just gives very generic failed to start error message. Before I take screenshots and go through that effort - anyone seen this before?

The other thing is if i re-install vc it starts the service again, but after restart it just does not want to start again, ive tried all my own setups, using sql 2005 sp2, that i used in the passed that worked.

Stumped know.

Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx1 | MCITPx1 | SCS | VCP

-

Please Reward Points----

Kind Regards Gareth Ray Smith Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx5 | MCITPx2 | SCS | VCP 3 | VCP 4 | KLDST ---------Please Reward Points---------
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you verified your ODBC connection to the DB and see if it tests ok?

geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Generally if it won't start it is a DB connection problem, or the DB is down all together. A ggod way to troubleshoot is to run vpxd.exe from the commandline. You may then see where its actaully failing. Run with the -s switch which allows it to run as a standalone server rather than a service.

vpxd.exe -s

-geob

renegadeZA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys i have checked the odbc connection db is running fine,

Will try the vpxd.exe -s

Let you know

Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx1 | MCITPx1 | SCS | VCP

-

Please Reward Points----

Kind Regards Gareth Ray Smith Comptia A+ | Comptia N+ | CCNA |NES |HP ACT | EE N3 | MCP | MCTSx5 | MCITPx2 | SCS | VCP 3 | VCP 4 | KLDST ---------Please Reward Points---------
0 Kudos
capablanca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version and build of VC and ESX?

VC should be equal or higher than the ESX.

It does sound like a database problem.

Is there free space on the DB server?

Did you grant DB owner rights the the user on the MSDB and VC database before carrying out the install?

You can revoke the DBO rights to the MSDB after the install but the install needs to create some tables there.

0 Kudos