VMware Cloud Community
nels
Contributor
Contributor

VC SQL SAN

dear all,

are there any issues having the VC SQL log files and DB on a SAN where VMs reside ??

and should i look to zone the LUN used for the SQL Logs/DB.

thanks in advance

Nels

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can't see any problems with having the DB on the same SAN as the VC server, I'm sure many companies do this. I know we do. And i'm not sure what you mean by "zone the LUN used by SQL/DB."...do you mean create a seperate LUN for your DB? If so yes, I would do that.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are there any problems? No. You won't have any problems. It will be safer to have separate LUNs, but it is also not required. Your vc and vc's sql db are not heavy use applications, unless of course you have 10's of servers and 100's of VMs, and are collecting a very high level of detail on the statistics.

That being said, I have an enterprise SAN, my vc and db are on the same storage. I am currently running a physical server for vc/sql on one machine, and all my storage is on the same LUN. My vc db is currently around 8 GB, for several months of data, and I have zero problems.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Theoretically, you shouldn't have any problems since VMs themselves are encapsulated and shouldn't interfer with anything on your DB logs data even it resides within the same LUN. It is best practices to place VC DB logs and VC database in seperate locations for best performance. If you have the luxury to manage these LUNs seperately than its a great choice so you don't have to worry about bunch of .vmdk within an ESX hosts could be bottleneck sometimes.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos