VMware Cloud Community
sipsipi
Contributor
Contributor

VC MUI Limit and HA for the manager

2 Questions:

1) I read somewhere where a "nice" (2Ghz, 2GB RAM) Virtual Center management server can handle about 50 client connections (Admins, etc) and about 1000 ESX servers. Does that seem right, and still valid (this was an old presentation).

2) How can I create a highly available design of Virtual Center Servers with regards to the licensing server, MUI, etc....

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

The VC doesn't require a great deal of power, but I think for 50 hosts they might recommend 2 CPUs'.

For high availability of VC, use HA.

If you create a virtual machine for VC then use HA to keep it up, no probs.

0 Kudos
sipsipi
Contributor
Contributor

So, you are basically saying that for a 'second' or 'HA' of my licensing server/client connection, I should create a VM for that?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

1) I thought dual cpu was needed to hit those specs and 1000 was for virtual machines, not hosts. I am getting a new CPU into my VC server this weekend and we are at about 30 concurrent users and 300 vms; our CPU is 3Ghz.

2) you can use ms clustering to make vc and/or the db highly available. You could also set vc up as a virtual machine in an HA cluster.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Yepp - virtualize the VC (and license) server - works like a champ.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

I'm suggesting that if you're implementing HA, it's no longer necessary to have a physical VC.

If the host running the VC fails, it's powered up on another host.

The licence server sits there also.

VMware have released a paper on this practice:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/resources/798

Message was edited by:

added link

0 Kudos