VMware Cloud Community
f0rd42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC Install SQL 2005 permissions

Hi there

I'm currently installing VC 2.5, or at least trying to do.

Environment: SQL 2005 SP2, Windows 2003 in a Domain (Lab Domain), all 32 bit. SQL on the same server ans VC Install should go to.

No mater what I do, the install process always moans about having not enough permissions.

I tried:

Created a DB and assigned a local SQL User as the owner to it, furthermore I've given this user db_owner rights on the msdb DB

2. Used a newly created Domain User, assigned it as the owner of the DB Files, also given db_owner rights on msdb.

No matter what I do, it doesn't work. I also tried to assign this user as the owner of msdb which hasn't helped at all.

There is not that much information in the docs and I followed it including what's in the KB. As there is not that much information, I assume it should be straight forward, but not for me Smiley Happy

Anyone any Idea?

Thanks

Andre

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HyperSprite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In your image, it shows your dbvc user in the sysadmin server role, this user should NOT be a sysadmin.

Also, if any previous attempts to install the software have added stats rollup jobs to the SQL agent, those will need to be removed before attempting to install (although I am not sure you have gotten that far).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What output do you get for sp_helplogins and did you uncheck the "enforce password policy" on the SQL login?

0 Kudos
f0rd42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dave

currently I'm trying with a Domain User (NT Authentication), but when I tried the SQL User, I disable password security.

Using sp_helplogins ZYCKOTSC\db_usr_virtualcenter (Domain \ User) gives me an error about incorrect Systax near \

Using it with a SQL Account gives me the result you can see in the attachment

Andre

0 Kudos
Effective
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

During setup your SQL account needs to have sysadmin rights, to be able to create some jobs in the SQL job agent.

After setup you can revoke these permissions and give just db_owner rights. Also during upgrades setup needs sysadmin rights.

0 Kudos
f0rd42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

thanks, but I assigned sysadmin rights alreay, see attachment

Andre

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There was an old issue where the login name and the db user name had to match, otherwise you'd get an error. I would delete the db you created, and create a new one. This time, in the create wizard, make sure you assign the db owner as the login name from the very beginning, and retry the install. You already took care of MSDB, so that should be fine.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
f0rd42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I just tried that (I'm sure I tried it before), without success, still the same error message telling me that the user does not have the right permissions.

Andre

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Whats the default database for the user in MS SQL? You can check this by viewing the account settings under "Security" in management studio.

Does the ODBC data source point to the correct database? Also check the default database in the odbc config.

Test the connection from the ODBC data source - does it work?

0 Kudos
HyperSprite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Don't assign sysadmin.

Make a new database

Set your user to for "db_owner" for the VC and MSDB database (leave all the other persons and rolls on their defaults)

Setup a System DSN using the native 2005 client and set it to use VC database as the default.

Run the installer.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know if you've seen this KB, but it may help.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003052

0 Kudos
conradsia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem while upgrading, I even made the grave mistake of adding sysadmin rights to the existing DB ... wiping out my VC database!!! What is the MSDB database to add permissions to?

Nothing I am trying is working!

Thanks

Conrad

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

msdb is the database that needs permissions or rather ownership assigned to.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
f0rd42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

doublechecked odbc, sp_helplogins, etc.

removed sysadmin rights from the user, created new db, nothing works Smiley Sad

I even tried re-installing MS SQL: same problem

Andre

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you login using that user through management studio, are you able to create tables,views,etc in the VC database?

Are you able to create sql agent jobs?

0 Kudos
f0rd42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

using the dbvc User to login works fine, I can also creates tables in the dbvc database.

Honestly I have no clue what SQL Agent job are or how to test whether i can create them. Can you give me a hint?

The SQL Server Agent Service itself wasn't started (I believe that's default), it's set to maunal. I started it with local system account, but this doesn't help at all.

Thanks a lot for your patience

Andre

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In management studio, there should be an item called SQL Server Agent. Try to create a job.

0 Kudos
f0rd42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

after giving the sysadmin role back to the user I was able to create jobs as well, but still can't complete the installation, same error message

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What version of SQL 2005 are you using and is it 32 or 64bit?

Is there anything logged in the install log?

The log is called vminst.log. Also look at VCDatabaseUpgrade.log in-case anything is logged there.

Run echo %TEMP% from the command prompt to get the log directory.

0 Kudos
HyperSprite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you needed to add sysadmin rights to create a job, you don't have db_owner on MSDB.

0 Kudos
f0rd42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm running the 32 bit Version of the OS and SQL Server.

Install Log attached. I've seen that it moans about missing rights on the msdb, which is nonsens, as you can see in the attached picture

Andre (confused)

0 Kudos