VMware Cloud Community
Blitz_Fandango
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC Crash on Database Query

We have been having our VC server randomly crash recently and I am curious if anyone has seen smiliar problems. We are running VC 2.5 Update 3 and I see the following errors in the log file:

Unable to recover from HY000:1483

An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Check database connectivity before restarting. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (HY000) - [ODBC][Ora]ORA-01483: invalid length for DATE or NUMBER bind variable

" is returned when executing SQL statement "UPDATE VPX_VM SET TOOLS_STATUS = ? , TOOLS_VERSION = ? , GUEST_OS = ? , GUEST_FAMILY = ? , GUEST_STATE = ? , DNS_NAME = ? , IP_ADDRESS = ? WHERE ID = ?"

Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

As far as I can tell the database servers are not having any issues and connectivity should not be an issue.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
GraphiteDak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure the statistics levels are at level 1. The 30 minute wrap up can't handle too much data..

0 Kudos
Blitz_Fandango
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our installation is not nearly as large as what you have. I finally got

all of our VMs up to date with the latest VMware Tools and I have not

seen our VC instance crash since. We are still running Update 3 over

here. Prior to the tools updates we were seeing the VC service crash

every 2 - 3 days. It's been running happily for a few weeks now.

0 Kudos
grog
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. Our VC Tools are very much out of date. I would say 75-80% are not up to date.

Thanks,

Marc

0 Kudos
grog
Contributor
Contributor

Currently all of them are set to 1. As a band aid fix I actually disabled the past day rollup job in the sql agent and I havent seen the problem since. I have a feeling that by leaving all of the stat levels on and disabling the SQL agent past day stat roll up it may be causing other problems. I ideally would like to have a fix that works all around and I can make sense of.

0 Kudos