VMware Cloud Community
Pezhore
Contributor
Contributor

VC Converter on Domain/Workgroup

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here to goes. My company currently has four ESX servers managed by one VC server. Two ESX servers are located at the same site as the VC server, the other two are at our downtown datacenter and connected by a metrolink. I've been charged with begining the arduous task of converting various servers at our downtown and local datacenters to VMs. Complicating the issue is that we have a mixed environment of domain/workgroup servers - primarily domain servers locally, and exclusively workgroup computers downtown. Initially our VC was not on the domain and could detect only a few computer locally via the consolidation tool - nothing downtown was detected. No domain computers were found using the consolidation tool. I have since added the VC server to the domain and attempted to search for computers to analyze in preparation for consolidation... and here is where my problem lies.

When I select the add to analysis, the only domains available are the previous workgroups. The current domain doesn't show up. Can anyone offer some insight?

- Brian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If what you are trying to do is convert the physical server, then I would recommend using the stand-alone vmware converter product. With that, you can point to the server you want, without having to go through the consolidation scenario. That is, as long as you don't need to do the guided consolidation first.

Second, you should be able to enable the converter plugin, and right-click on the host or location you want, and click import. This should give you a wizard with the source to point to the converter to.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Pezhore
Contributor
Contributor

What we're looking to do is analyze a whole bunch of our servers and identify potential candidates for virtualization. I believe that's the purpose of the consolidation feature. Unless there's a better way to automatically/bulk discover physical servers and perform an analysis to determine good candidates?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

No, I would restart the capacity planner service. If you're in a domain, it should discover the machines in it.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Pezhore
Contributor
Contributor

How long does it typically take to discover servers? I ask because after restarting the box to join the domain, no new computers are showing up in the "Add to Analysis" window.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

System discovery can take some time. Virtual Center Update 2 has been released. It includes ability to add hosts directly into guided consolidation. You should be able to download it now and use that instead of the VC Update 1 you currently have.

-KjB

0 Kudos