VMware Cloud Community
RickCX4
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.5 update 3 issue "insufficient resources to satisfy HA failover level on cluster" and "unable to contact a primary HA agent in cluster"

After upgrading a fine working VC2.5 update 2 to VC2.5 update 3 I get the following error

(I know, "If it works, leave it" !)

"insufficient resources to satisfy HA failover level on cluster" and "unable to contact a primary HA agent in cluster"

As a result I cannot start any powered off VM (I dare not try to restart one!)

VMotion works when I Disable HA

First thing I tried was this

1. First of all check that all your ESX hosts can ping and resolve each other.

*2. The next step is the removal of three VMware modules needed to interact with VirtualCenter (and HA). Once you reconnect the ESX hosts in a later step, the packages will be installed again automatically. We start with the removal of the vpx agent, afterwards we remove the two HA modules on the ESX machine itself (log in the service console). Do that on ALL ESX hosts having this error message. *

rpm -qa | grep -i vpx

rpm -ev VMware-vpxa-x.x.x-xxxxx

rpm -qa | grep aam

*rpm -ev VMware-aam-vcint-x.x.x-x *

rpm -ev VMware-aam-haa-x.x.x-x

3. Now open Virtual Infrastructure Client and disconnect the ESX hosts.

4. In the Cluster settings, disable HA.

4. Connect the ESX hosts.

5. In the Cluster settings, enable HA.

The result of this was that only this message is left "insufficient resources to satisfy HA failover level on cluster".

The real resources are not an issue this is more than enough.

4 esx 3.5u2 servers with in a cluster with only 25% mem and 15% CPU per ESX in use

I am 100% sure all DNS related files are ok, lowercase names ect.

And everything worked fine with VC2.5update 2

Anybody Tips?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RickCX4
Contributor
Contributor

After some digging through the config settings of the cluster, I found out that on some of the VM's the memory reservation was set.

This caused probebly the unsufficient resources.

I changed the values of the reservations of 0 and now the error has dissapeared.

Somehow the reservations were set while upgrading to VC2.5 update 3 cause I did not set them and I am the only one who operates VMware.

I'm happy again Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a classic to show in demos, setting reservations can cause a few little odd one together with Resource Pools

0 Kudos
RickCX4
Contributor
Contributor

The odd thing was that I do not use resource pools and/or reservations !

So how come after the upgrade they were there?

>>> ZippyDaMCT <communities-emailer@vmware.com> 10/13/08 8:05 nm >>>

A new message was posted in the thread "VC 2.5 update 3 issue "insufficient resources to satisfy HA failover level on cluster" and "unable to contact a primary HA agent in cluster"":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1073461#1073461

Author : ZippyDaMCT

Email : fritzyboi@hotmail.com

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/ZippyDaMCT

0 Kudos
parmadan
Contributor
Contributor

We have just upgraded from VC2.5 Update 1 to Update 3. Disabled HA before the upgrade.

The actual upgrade process worked well. Before we began, we changed SQL 2000 db recovery model from FULL to BULK-LOGGED & made the virtualcenter SQL user a DBO of msdb database (only for the upgrade). We then installed (upgraded) the licensing service. Then rebooted VC and all looked ok.

When turning on HA, we got the following VC errors in the vpxd-*.log file...

Unable to connect to NFC server: Error connecting to authd on host esx01.xyz.internal

InstallAam failed on host esx01.xyz.internal: vim.fault.HostConnectFault

Enter DAS_PROFILE UpdateDasStatus

Unable to connect to NFC server: Error connecting to authd on host esx01.xyz.internal

Exit DAS_PROFILE UpdateDasStatus (15 ms)

-- FINISH task-5434 -- host-2789 -- DasConfig.ConfigureHost

-- ERROR task-5434 -- host-2789 -- DasConfig.ConfigureHost: vim.fault.HostConnectFault:

(vim.fault.HostConnectFault) {

dynamicType = &lt;unset&gt;,

msg = ""

}

This occurred for all 6 of our ESX servers. There was nothing in the aam log on the ESX servers. After restarting both the licensing and VC services (again), HA enabled without a hitch. Took a while though as it must have been pushing out the new aam rpm to the ESX servers.

Dan

0 Kudos
valot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue.

I tried everything I know and all write on the community;

Did you resolve yoru issue ? If yes how ?

new install VC2.5 U2 and ESX 3.5 U2 (upgrade to U3 with same issue)

tks.

0 Kudos