VMware Cloud Community
radman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC 2.5 connection errors

I just upgraded to VC 2.5. I run my VI Client in the same VM as VirtualCenter itself (and the license server), after connecting to the VM via RDP (MS Terminal Services).

Half the time, after logging in and trying to connect VIC to "localhost", I get an error "VMware infrastructure client could not establish the initial connection with server 'localhost'".

If I get this error, it recurrs until I reboot the VM. Sometimes that fixes the problem. It seems like the problem happens more frequently if I try to start VIC too quickly after login. If I wait for things to settle down after the login before running VIC it connects more reliably. But once it fails to connect it will never connect before a reboot.

Note that the VC VM is set to autostart 30 seconds after ESX comes up. I don't know if that has any bearing or not.

I don't know how to diagnose what may be going wrong. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had similar problems. Check this thread to see if anything applies:

In my case, I had to rebuild VC with a new database.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
smgg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Radman,

We have seen a similar issue here after our upgrade to VC 2.5.

Do you use MS SQL Espress 2005? In our implementation we see SQL use 100% CPU every 1/2 hour when the roll up procedures for stats is run. During the rollup time frame (10 mins in our enviroment) we get very spotty performance/ no connection to the Virtual Centre via the VI client.

This was verified by connecting a VI client on a desktop to direct to the ESX host and monitoring the performance of the VM CPU's. We then tracked this back using the Taskmanager within the VM.

akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had similar problems. Check this thread to see if anything applies:

In my case, I had to rebuild VC with a new database.

0 Kudos