VMware Cloud Community
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC 2.5 client slow on Vista

Hi Guys

I'm wondering if anyones is finding the Virtual Infrastructure Client that comes with Virtual Center 2.5 slow? We put in a new VC 2.5 server at the weekend replacing VC 2.02 however we are suffering from performance problems with the client running on Vista Enterprise, client is fine on the VC server which is running W2K3 SP2.

anyone else finding the same thing on Vista?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay it's fixed...goto your Control Panel / Windows Color and Appearance and change your color scheme from "Windows Aero" to "Windows Vista Basic", you lose the Aero features but the repaint in Virtual Center is 300% better!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How much memory for Vista? I am running fine on Vista Enterprise, but then I installed SP1 (release, not beta).

0 Kudos
SandyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vista PCs all have 4Gb of Ram, we are however running beta SP1.... wonder if this is the cause....

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have tried multiple installs and nothing seems to help, a co-worker's Vista is just fine...anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay it's fixed...goto your Control Panel / Windows Color and Appearance and change your color scheme from "Windows Aero" to "Windows Vista Basic", you lose the Aero features but the repaint in Virtual Center is 300% better!!!

0 Kudos
JBianchi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, aero really does slow the client down. Thanks for the fix.

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I miss Aero but oh well...

0 Kudos
lbornich
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Setting the compatibility option "Disable visual themes" on the VpxClient.exe will allow you to have Aero, but will force Vista to disable it when the VI Client is running... :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
apullano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so we know the workaround is not to use Aero.... does anyone know if a real fix is in the works?

I've been using Vista since its release - and since MS updated their AD remote tools suite (finally), the VMware Infrastructure Client is now the only admin tool I'm having trouble with. I'm wondering if this is related to a specific .Net version or update. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have not heard of any new updates to the VIC.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We don't do either of those settings, but some laptops cannot handle Aero themes very well, and/or video cards.

We change the desktop composition to disable, that fixes it for my laptop (Vista 32-bit / 4Gb)

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Ok, so we know the workaround is not to use Aero.... does anyone know if a real fix is in the works?

That is the REAL fix. Aero causes many problems, its a Vista problem, not a VM Ware problem.

> I'm wondering if this is related to a specific .Net version or update. Any ideas?

Try uninstalling / reinstall VIC?

0 Kudos
Brianck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't agree, other tools on Vista do not have the same redraw issues...

0 Kudos
brenc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I am running VIC 2.5.0 on Vista Enterprise 64-bit / Core2 2.33GHz / 4GB and the redraw slowness issue with VIC is still there. Changing the theme from Aero to Basic fixed the redraw slowness.

This is the first application in Vista I have ever used that has had this issue!

0 Kudos
ncc1701e
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The client runs very fast on Windows 7

0 Kudos
FireDog7881
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running the VIC on Windows 7 and the redraw issue is still there. I tried to disable themes on the shortcut but it didn't help.

0 Kudos
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In Windows 7 you need to disable desktop composition not disable themes.

0 Kudos
PeteKowalsky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same on Vista -- doing this fixes it for me, but make for some ugly apps while I have the vSphere client open...DOH! It'd sure be nice if VMware would make the vSphere client play nice with Aero....don't make me make my desktop "ugly", dude! Smiley Wink

Regards,

Pete Kowalsky - VCP3, CISSP, CCNP, CCSP, ADHD, blah blah blah

(Points for helpful / correct are appreciated...)

Regards, *Pete Kowalsky - VCP3, VCP4, CISSP, CCNP, CCSP, ADHD, blah blah blah* +(Points for helpful / correct are appreciated...)+
0 Kudos
minerat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Win7 64bit here - just confirming that disabling desktop composition helps with the redraw issue. It'd be nice if vmware could fix this - obviously some control or however they're updating content doesn't play nicely with aero.

0 Kudos
FireDog7881
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will confirm that the redraw issue is significantly reduced when turning off Desktop Composition. The is still a slight delay, annoying but not major.

0 Kudos