VMware Cloud Community
gary1012
Expert
Expert

VC 2.5 and Web Access Issues

Hello all,

I'm running into a snag with my VC 2.0.2 to 2.5 upgrade and cannot seem to get the web client to work any longer. I can get to the login page on the web client but when the credentials are entered, I get a message that the web service is unavailable. Furthermore, when I applied the March 2008 patches to a ESX host, it can no longer communicate with VC. All other hosts and VMs are OK. Here's what I've checked/tested thus far:

1. Checked the VirtualCenter server and ensure that Tomcat was up. Netstat -a shows that 8086 is listening.

2. Checked the ESX host that had the patches applied and ensured that mgmt-vmware was running, successfully performed a restart JIC, and check to see if it was accessible by VIC and a direct web client connection; which it was.

3. Dropped it from the VC inventory and re-added the host. Got an dialog box error attached below.

4. Checked the proxy.log file on the VC server and found these entries at the end of the log:

2008-03-19 08:07:16.251 'HTTP server /var/lib/vmware/hostd/docroot' 12999600 warning HandlePost: Not supported HTTP method for given URI

2008-03-19 08:07:16.301 'HTTP server /var/lib/vmware/hostd/docroot' 20368304 warning HandlePost: Not supported HTTP method for given URI

5. Excerpts from the hostd.log file show after attempting to register the host into VC:

2008-03-19 08:07:16.251 'HTTP server /var/lib/vmware/hostd/docroot' 12999600 warning HandlePost: Not supported HTTP method for given URI

2008-03-19 08:07:16.301 'HTTP server /var/lib/vmware/hostd/docroot' 20368304 warning HandlePost: Not supported HTTP method for given URI

6. When accessing the WebClient on VirtualCenter (fails and states the Web Service Not Available)

com.vmware.webcenter.exceptions.ActionException: Web service unavailable.

at com.vmware.webcenter.control.action.LoginAction.execute(Unknown Source)

7. Uninstalled Web Access from VC and reinstalled it. Got the same errors above.

I googled the HandlePost message but wasn't able to find anything on the topic. Does anyone have any suggestions before I open an incident with VMware?

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

This error is more common to a DNS problem or port not open. Make sure that you can resolve the VC and the host using a ping to the FQDN's to each other.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
gclinch
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure I can help with the web client upgrade, but I had a similar issue with the March patches to ESX 3.0.2 - when trying to reconnect to the esx host VC gave an error along the lines of "Either the server software is not responding or there is a network issue". The fix appears to be to remove the vpxa package from the ESX host (it is reinstalled by the VC server when connecting), like so:

Get the version of vpxa that is currently installed:

# rpm -qa | grep vpxa

VMware-vpxa-2.5.0-64192

then remove it:

# rpm -e VMware-vpxa-2.5.0-64192

Then try reconnecting the host from VC.

gary1012
Expert
Expert

Thx for the tip on vpxa. That worked great. As for DNS resolution, it's working both ways.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos