VMware Cloud Community
johnsgw
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.5 and Converter (Wizard or plugin)

I have download the eval copy of VC 2.5 U2 and all the components. I have ESXi 3.5 install on a HP BL460c and have started configuring VC and am ready to convert a hot server to a virtual (P2V) but cannot find out how to get the converter starter. I installed all the products that were on the DVD ISO image. When I click on Plug-In I get the Available and Installed Tabs but nothing is in either window.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi John,

Couple of things:

1) Make sure that Converter is installed. i.e.: It shows up in your Virtual Center's Add/Remove Programs as VMware Converter Client.

2) Make sure that your Virtual Infrastructure client is connected to your Virtual Center (not not to a host directly). This will ensure that you get those options in the tabs.

Lastly - you can also download VMware Converter stand-alone for free. http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

Cheers

johnsgw
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I have loading on my VC server:

If can see it the VMWare Connector is installed as "Virtual Connecter Enterprise for VirtualCenter".

Ther is an agent in the Converter directory but when I install VC no longer loads.

Thanks,

Glenn

0 Kudos
Kevin_Gao
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi John,

Could you clarify what you mean by "VC no longer loads"? i.e.: Does the VC service stop? Or does your VI client not install the plugin?

Can you also double check to make sure your VI client is connected to the VC and not to a host?

0 Kudos
johnsgw
Contributor
Contributor

After I install the Converter Agnet I get an errot about not being able to find an entry point. At that point all I can do is uninstall everything and reinstall the VC.

The VI is connected to the VC server.

Thanks, Glenn

0 Kudos