VMware Cloud Community
greg_deakin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC 2.5 U3 database upgrade incorrect version?

Hi all,

Been trying to upgrade our VC from v2.02 to v 2.5 u3 and I've run into issues. The upgrade of the VC works without issue, but when I run the database upgarade utility it only upgrades the DB to V 2.5 u2 (this is using the binaries from the zip download). Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or the binaries have the incorrect dbupgrade util?

For info our DB is running on SQL 2000 sp4.

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asutosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys got the root cause of the problem.

If you are running the VC upgrade by using the unified installer then things are working fine and which is infact supported method.

i.e once you unzip the build, you will get the following:

VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-U3-English/

-converter

-autorun.exe

-umds

-autorun.inf

-readme-de.txt

-updateManager

-redist

-readme-ja.txt

-readme.txt

-readme-zh-CN.txt

-vi

-vpx

To upgrade to VC25 U3, please run autorun.exe.

Things would go smooth and would work fine.

The problem happens if you go to the vpx folder and run the VMware-vcserver.exe for upgrade.

Workaround for this problem: (incase you have used the stand alone VC installer)

-

Note: If you have already changed the vpx_version to u3 this won't work.

So stop vpxd and change vpx_version back to u2

Chaning the vpx_version to U3 won't help and would cause problem in long term.

You need to run the dbupgrade tool again, here is how to do it. (worked for me)

1. Start command promt.

2. Go to the db upgrade folder.

For me its:

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\dbupgrade\

3. Run the following command :

VCDatabaseUpgrade.exe DSN= MINORDBUPGRADE=1

It will launch dbupgrade wizard and things should go fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
greg_deakin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've runing on VC u2 now - no issues here.

Uninstall u3, install u2 and run dbuHelper.exe.

Greg

0 Kudos
asutosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi..

What Version of VC202?(u1/u2..)?

Or build# would help

Can you please post db upgrade log files?

0 Kudos
JaviGalvez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My recommendation is, upgrade to VC 2.5 and after upgrade to VC 2.5 Update 3.

ww.dell.com

VCP210, VCP310, VCP410 www.dell.com
0 Kudos
MagicSteven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi!

i think the db-upgrade wizard of vc 2.5 u3 has a faulty script.

the version-info in table VPX_VERSION states that the current version (after upgrade) is u2, thus the vc service won't start.

i tested this with upgrade 2.0.2 u1 to 2.5.0 u3 and 2.5.0 u1 to 2.5.0 u3.

same situation every time. and it's regardless of migrating events and performance data, or not.

after manually editing the table replacing u2 with u3, the service starts and everything looks normal.

...i'm scared Smiley Sad

i don't want to manually edit the database.

can anyone confirm this??

greg_deakin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's pretty much what I experienced upgrading from 2.0.2 (50618).

Hum - as I stepped back to 2.5 u2 without trashing the database I'm now thinking I'm running u2 with a u3 database, but surely there'd be no differences??

Greg

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am running on SQL 2005 with my virtual center update 2. Just upgraded to update 3 today and it works perfect. The only different is, I download the .iso image from vmware and use daemon tools to mount the ISO. This can avoid the compatible issue on the zip file

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just ran into this problem as well in our test environment upgrading from Update 2 to Update 3. Error log on service startup shows:

Database version value 'VirtualCenter Database 2.5u2' is incompatible with this release of VirtualCenter.

Looks like they have a faulty upgrade script. FYI I used the Zip file download as well, not the ISO.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Been trying to upgrade our VC from v2.02 to v 2.5 u3 and I've run into issues.

This is a huge issue. We had the same problem, as many others. Going from VC 2.0 to a newer version upgrade, is not worth the time. You are going to have to rebuild your database

Going from VC 2.5 to the updates is fine, it's just going from VC 2.0 to a newer version of VC is the problem.

0 Kudos
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To expand on what was said earlier:

In order to fix the database problem, replace the u2 with u3. If you are scared or have no idea what to do, here's how to do it.

If you're using the default install of SQL Server 2005 Express that comes with VC, first you need to grab SQL Server Management Studio Express, which is a free download from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c243a5ae-4bd1-4e3d-94b8-5a0f62bf7796&displa...

After installing, connect to your local database, which should be called SQLEXP_VIM. Open the database named VIM_VCDB.

Open the Tables view, scroll down to dbo.VPX_VERSION. Right click on it and say "Open Table"

In the window pane to the right, edit the VERSION_VALUE text string and modify "u2" to be "u3" at the very end.

Click out of the window, make sure you wait a few seconds, then try to start the VirtualCenter Service. It should work fine.

SPECULATION: I think since VC2.5u3 has no database changes, they neglected to update the database upgrade script at all, not realizing they would have this issue.

0 Kudos
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RParker:

I ran into this issue on a less-than-two-weeks-old fresh install of VC2.5u2, so I don't think this is an issue of too big an upgrade jump.

0 Kudos
asutosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys got the root cause of the problem.

If you are running the VC upgrade by using the unified installer then things are working fine and which is infact supported method.

i.e once you unzip the build, you will get the following:

VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-U3-English/

-converter

-autorun.exe

-umds

-autorun.inf

-readme-de.txt

-updateManager

-redist

-readme-ja.txt

-readme.txt

-readme-zh-CN.txt

-vi

-vpx

To upgrade to VC25 U3, please run autorun.exe.

Things would go smooth and would work fine.

The problem happens if you go to the vpx folder and run the VMware-vcserver.exe for upgrade.

Workaround for this problem: (incase you have used the stand alone VC installer)

-

Note: If you have already changed the vpx_version to u3 this won't work.

So stop vpxd and change vpx_version back to u2

Chaning the vpx_version to U3 won't help and would cause problem in long term.

You need to run the dbupgrade tool again, here is how to do it. (worked for me)

1. Start command promt.

For me its:

VCDatabaseUpgrade.exe DSN= MINORDBUPGRADE=1

It will launch dbupgrade wizard and things should go fine.

0 Kudos
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

asutosh -

Great, thanks for figuring that out! Indeed I ran the vmware-licenseserver.exe then thevmware-vcserver.exe as my install method. This would explain the issue.

0 Kudos
asutosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just changing the version to U3 in the vpx_version table is not sufficient.

You could run into several problems as this doesn't run upgrade scripts related to U2 to U3.

0 Kudos
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there a way to manually run the db upgrade process?

0 Kudos
greg_deakin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That'll be it then. Can't say I ever use unified installers, takes out all the fun.

Greg

0 Kudos
MagicSteven
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this is what i was scared of...

is there a way to extract the correct upgrade script to apply it manually?

or is this some hardcoded stuff?

0 Kudos
tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm flushing my config as I write this line... what a crap... it's just a month old fresh 2.5 u2 DB on an sql 2k5 server, but still the db was messed ut, and changing the VPX_VERSIONS didn't do the trick.. aaaarg.. makes me "no like!!"

OK, here's an update.

I Down-ed the ISO file, connected it to the VC, after going back and forth from u3 to u2 (2.5) and ending on 2.5 u2 and a restore of my VCDB.

Then I started all over again, this time the Installation procedure took me to the (this didn't happen during the upgrade with the zip...) DBHelper and fired up the Upgrade Process.After an upgrade the installation frooze while the Vmware Virtual Center Service tried to kickstart (witch of course it didn't - untill I specifyed the correct Domain Admin (!!?) Account for the service... With that in place everything seems smooth... once again, but ... c'mon this is just stupid isn't it?

Message was edited by: tjuksa

0 Kudos
asutosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have updated on how to do this, in the workaround section.

0 Kudos
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You should not change the version number in vpx_version.

Follow below process -

1. Start command promt.

default path is -

VCDatabaseUpgrade.exe DSN=<DSNUsed for VC server> UID=<dsnuser> PWD=<dsnpassword> MINORDBUPGRADE=1

It will launch dbupgrade wizard. Follow the wizard and finish the upgrade.

Now VC will be in ready to use state.

NOTE: if you have already changed the version number in vpx_version table revert it back to u2 before following above process.

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos