VMware Cloud Community
TBende
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.5 Reports ESX Host Memory Usage Amber

My instalation of VC 2.5 is reporting one of my hosts with an amber warning for "Host memory usage"

There are only 2 "VM"s on this host and they have all green lights for resources.

The amber warning is about 12 hours old and I see no mechanism for clearing this message.

What can I interpret from this error?

What should I do about it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

it may be a false positive. Disable the alarm for Host Memory Usage, then enable it again.

Hosts & ClustersAlarms Tab Definitions.

0 Kudos
TBende
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Troy

All of the options under edit setting -> Alarm settings are grayed out. Do I need to be in Maintenance mode?

I can create a new alarm and see all the options as being available, but not on any existing alarm.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

so, in your vCenter Server, you go and highlight Hosts&Clustes, then go to the alarm tab, choose definitions and your options are greyed out? If so, it's a rights issue with your account in vCenter.

0 Kudos
TBende
Contributor
Contributor

Troy

No I was going to Alarms on the host giving the alarm.

"Host & Clusters" worked and for a moment the Yellow (Amber) warning went away. About 30 seconds later it came back. So I guess it is not a false positive.

The Event log and Event Details does not tell me anything other then it switched from Gray to Yellow.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

What is the host Memory usage?

You can log into the service console as well and run esxtop and the hit the "m" key. You will see what is using all the Hosts memory.

If all indications point to low memory usage, you may, while you logged into the service console, restart the vpx agent, which may clear the alarm.

service vmware-vpxa restart.

0 Kudos
TBende
Contributor
Contributor

Of the two VM on the host, they are using 17 and 4% respectively. Host is an ESXi host so no console.

Tech Support mode? Would it allow the command line options to work there?

It is a production ESXi so caution before anything else

Additional Info:

Host memory usage...3.4GB out of 4.00

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I don't use ESXi so I don't want to lead you down the wrong path. If you have vMotion, you can migrate your VM's to another host, reboot the one in question, migrate the VM's back and see if that fixes your alarm issue.

Wish I could offer more, but I don't know ESXi

0 Kudos