VMware Cloud Community
gregplou
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.5 - Gaps in Performance Data (Missing Performance Data) for VMs after VMotion Migration

Greetings,

We have begun to see an odd issue in which the Real-Time Performance Data is missing for 10-20 minutes for VMs after they have been migrated from one ESX Host to another ESX Host. This does not happen after every migration, but it is affecting performance testing that is currently underway since we are not able to get consistent performance data. As I look at the Daily numbers, I also see data missing...gaps in the chart...throughout the day for every VM, even without a migration having occurred. The VMs are running fine...no outages. Has anyone seen this before? Ideas on why it might be happening?

We are running ESX 3.5 with VC 2.5 (build 64192). We have not recently applied any patches to the environment...

Thanks,

Greg

Best Regards, Greg
0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you validated that all of your ESX hosts and your vc are using the same time source and are sync'd?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
gregplou
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response. The VC and ESX Hosts are synced to the second. Our internal sources are all synced to the same external source.

Greg

Best Regards, Greg
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Connect directly to your ESX host using the vi client, and take a look at the performance graphs there. If they don't have the gaps, then you may need to review your SQL mainenance jobs for the statistics rollup. If you have a large database, and are collecting heavy statistics, the jobs may be taking a long time to complete, which may explain some of the gaps, especially if your gaps occur at regular intervals.

-KjB

gregplou
Contributor
Contributor

There are no gaps in the performance data when connected directly to an ESX Host. I will have our DBA look at the SQL Jobs and their performance.

Greg

Best Regards, Greg
0 Kudos
gregplou
Contributor
Contributor

We increased the Virtual Center's SQL memory to 6GB, and are still encountering 10+ minutes gaps in the performance data. The performance data on the individual ESX Hosts does not have the gaps. Other thoughts before we open a case with VMWare?

Greg

Best Regards, Greg
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Again, look at the stat rollup jobs in SQL. They should be running at a frequency that you may be able to correllate with the gaps. If you have large tables full of statistics, then you may need to adjust / recreate some indexes so the jobs finish quicker. Look at the history and see how long the sql jobs are taking to complete. The SQL agent history should have that information.

Increasing memory may not help if your sql server is still taking a long time to run through those jobs. How many hosts do you have, and what stat level are you collecting?

I think you should still open a case with VMware as it is always more efficient to look over your config directly, rather than the back and forth type of communication over the boards.

-KjB

KyRoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All.

I have a similar problem with one of my esx hosts.

But there are gaps on the vc and on the esx. I have cheched the time and that is not the problem.

As far as I know I did not have this problem 4 days ago...

Thanks,

Iwan

0 Kudos
gregplou
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a case with VMWare, and there is a known issue that sometimes occurs in which these Performance Data gaps occur. A patch for Virtual Center to correct this issue is being developed (patch 12 according to the VMWare Engineer who worked this case), but has not yet been released.

Greg

Best Regards, Greg
0 Kudos