VMware Cloud Community
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.5 - Delete from disk...broken?

I just noticed that when I try to delete a VM from VC it leaves the folder and the vmdk on the LUN. I shutdown the VM, right-clicked and selected 'Delete from disk'. When I browse the datastore the folder is still there and only the vmdk is in the folder, all of the other VM files are gone? Is this new behavior, or a bug? Anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

You are seeing a UI glitch. The deletion might even be scheduled in order to keep the performance on your host high. Wait a bit and you'll probably see that the files are actually deleted.

You get more reliable results by querying the folder via the console directly using the "ls" command.

hth,

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor

I've had a console session to that host and checked that LUN via "ls", but it's still there. It's been a couple hours now since I did the 'Delete from disk'.

We just upgraded VirtualCenter to v2.5 and will be upgrading the hosts this week.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

A couple of hours should be plenty for the operation to complete.

From your feedback i understand that it is only the disk that remains? This is a bit weird as normally it should all go at the same time.

Have you verified the file rights ("ls -alh" should show it all), maybe someone changed the defaults and disallowed your user account / user group to delete the vmdk file?

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos