VMware Cloud Community
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC 2.5 Client

While trying to install the new VC 2.5 client, i got the message that the client is unable to install on my Windows XP 64-bit OS, the previous version is working without any problems, is the support for 64-bit gone?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

According to the compatibility matrix XP 64bit is not supported

arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, but with a new version of a piece of software, support for a previous working version is dropped, so will 64-bit never be adopted.

Do you know if 64-bit is supported in a next release, or do i need to reinstall my laptop to get a 32-bit OS?

Arjan

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Even with VC 2.0.x XP 64bit was not officially supported

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert

I didn't realise it wasn't supported but the V2 client happily installed and ran on 64bit vista.

This is a bit of a problem as most of the real desktops around here are now 64bit.

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We got the same problem over here, we are planning to roll-out all the used work stations with Vista 64-bit, but when the VC client can't be used, i think we have an problem.

I could solve the problem by using VDM for the applications, but the VDM client isn't working on 64-bit to.

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

If you have a citrix enviroment you could publish the VIC application on that.

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's right, but we don't have any Citrix environment, think we will use vmware player to get a 32-bit os, and run VIC from there.

Hopefully VMware will support in the future the 64-bit platforms, so as VMware Server 2.0 is running on a 64-bit linux platform.

Arjan

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Or, you could wait until its supported. Tell your account rep that, "hey, all this new technology is great but we can't use it until you support 64-bit. Will it be available in the first service release?"

If you have to deploy workarounds to get the first iteration of a next-generation release working, its likely that you should be holding off. Just look at the Storage compatibility guide. Its terrible... there's less than 25% of product sets that were supported in 3.0.2 that are officially supported on 3.5 at the moment.

0 Kudos
nlorvick
Contributor
Contributor

I think it's a matter of VMware not supporting the WOW64 32-bit emulation enviornment on Windows. It's sad that it doesn't work from 2.0.x to 2.5. I'd rather not run in a Terminal Services enviornment, and I definently do not want to downgrade to 32-bit on my workstation. I just find it odd that ESX would support 64-bit obviously to handle 4+ GB of RAM, why not the same on the client?

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have changed the installation package and are able to use the VC client on a 64-bit XP installation, we have removed the check for 64-bit and have changed some rights.

Problem solved for now.

Arjan

0 Kudos