VMware Cloud Community
makking
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC 2.5.0 - never been Updated. Which Update should I apply?

Hi,

I inherited our VirtualCenter 2.5.0 Build 64192 (including Update Manager, Converter, HA, DRS configured with ESX3.5 hosts), now I need to Update them. Which VC 2.5 Update version is recommended? Do I need to incrementally install 1, 2, and 3, or can I (and should I), just jump to Update 3? This has got me pretty worried, from what I have been reading in the forums. Any advice/recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated! I am using MS SQL Mgmt Studio Express to backup the VC database.

Thank you!

Mak

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would wait a few more weeks so U3 has been out 2 months and apply that. Otherwise you will only have to do an update twice. You can install U3 and miss the other U1 U2 updates as they include the other updates/fixes etc. Just make sure you backup the database. Worst case you re-install VC 2.5.0 and restore the database.

Andy, VCP,

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would wait a few more weeks so U3 has been out 2 months and apply that. Otherwise you will only have to do an update twice. You can install U3 and miss the other U1 U2 updates as they include the other updates/fixes etc. Just make sure you backup the database. Worst case you re-install VC 2.5.0 and restore the database.

Andy, VCP,

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

0 Kudos
SimonLong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Mak, personally i would only go to U2 as U3 has only been out about a week and could still contain bugs. You could install Update Manager, this way you would be able to control which updates you install and which you want to wait for.

Simon

Visit My Blog, The SLOG at: http://www.simonlong.co.uk
0 Kudos
makking
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok. So, are you saying that there will be other builds of Update 3 over the next couple weeks, and I should wait for those? When I backup the db, does that backup the license files for the VC and ESX hosts as well, or do those get backed up/stored separately (if so, where are they)? I am really sweating doing this, since the guy that originally installed the VC/licenses isn't here anymore...

0 Kudos
SimonLong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The License files are not installed in the DB that VC is. ESX Licence's can either be single files or installed on a license server. To find out which you are using and also the possible location of a License server if used, connect to your ESX Hosts and on the "Configuration" tab view the License information.

Don't panic about doing this all straight away, although its not ideal being out of date on the updates its not the end of the world. I would suggest reading up on some documentation on update best practices and anything else you feel you need to be up to speed on. If you dive in head first the chances are your going to make things worse.

Simon

Visit My Blog, The SLOG at: http://www.simonlong.co.uk
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VC 2.5 Update 3 was released on October 3 so its prob. pretty well shaken out at this point. I think you're thinking of ESX 3.5 Update 3 which only came out a week or so ago