VMware Cloud Community
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC 2.5.0 Problem

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this version of virtual center but I will start here.

I am having a problem with our current version of VC 2.5.0. For some reason on our ESX Servers we are losing access to VM's we have configured as templates. For instance we have three VM's that are images (win2k3, WinXP and Win2008) and configured as templates for quick cloning of the image. For some reason speradically we will lose access to these VM's. They will become grayed out and when right clicking the only option available is 'Set Permissions'. It dosent matter what permissions we set it does not resolve the problem. We are forced to delete the image, recreate a custom VM and point to the image again and reconvert it to a template. It will be good for another week or two then the grey out again. I should note the actual image is not renamed, removed or deleted from the store.

Any ideas? I realize we are not at the most current revision level but we have a strict change policy in our environment.

Thanks for any assistance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeremypage
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What kind of storage are you using for your VMs? Specifically for the templates? Did you look at the vmware.log file for the templates for errors etc?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are you losing connections to any of your ESX Servers? When grayed out do they indicate anything like disconnected or not responding?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
CoreyIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

These images are stored on the local disk as are all of our other VM's. We are currently using DAS for our three hosts. The other VMs never have an issue, just these 'templates' and not until after a few days/week or two after they are created. I cant see anything happening that is causing it.

0 Kudos
jeremypage
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You really need to look in the vmware.log file for the templates, the /var/log/vmkwarning and vmkernel.log files on the ESX hosts themselves. There should be some information in there that will assist you in troubleshooting the problem.

0 Kudos