VMware Cloud Community
BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC 2.02 support with latest VCB and ESX 3.0.1?

I need to backup my ESX 3.0.1 farm with VCB but looking at the documenation, it shows that VC 2.0.2 is only supported with VCB 1.0.3 and ESX 3.0.2

Has anyone had luck using VCB to backup their datacenters using VC 2.0.2 if they are still at 3.0.1?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't think there will be any problems with your DRS clusters.

How many ESX hosts are you dealing with?

In my opinion, you would be better-off upgrading all of you ESX hosts than you will be trying to downgrade your VC server/database. I'm not really sure if it is even possible to "downgrade" a VC database (unless by "downgrade" you mean restoring from backup).

Depending on the state of the patches on your ESX 3.0.1 servers, you can always justify "upgrading" to ESX 3.0.2 on the grounds of the "patch rollups" it contains.

I realize it is easy for me to "say" this, as I won't be the one doing the upgrades/it isn't my responsibility, but I really think that upgrading your ESX severs to 3.0.2 is the best option. FWIW...

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have had good luck with VCB and ESX 3.0.1 - you just have to make sure that you use the proper version of VCB.

What version of VC are you running?

If you are using VC 2.0.2, I would go ahead and upgrade to ESX 3.0.2 U1, and then use VCB 1.0.3.

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oops I thought I mentioned it in my post. I am using VC 2.0.2 and its working fine however the VCB release notes show that Vmware only supports VC 2.0.2 with VCB 1.0.3 AND ESX 3.0.2

If anyone comes back and says it should work, I'll use VCB 1.0.2. I'd rather not downgrade my VC server but I guess I wont have a choice otherwise.

I cant upgrade to ESX 3.0.2 at this tome as much as Id love to get the new features and patches in.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unless you're running the stated versions of ESX & VC, don't bother upgrading your VCB version.

I upgraded my VCB when the last version came out, but at that point I hadn't read the release notes and was still running ESX 3.0.1

To cut a long story short, it didn't work.

I had to upgrade VC to version 2.0.2 and then all the ESX servers before VCB would function correctly.

So, you've either got a large upgrade schedule ahead or stay where you are.

virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You won't be able to use VCB 1.0.3 with VC 2.0.2 unless you are running ESX 3.0.2.

If upgrading to ESX 3.0.2 is not an option, no dice.

###############

BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any idea about using VCB 1.01 or VCB 1.02 with VC 2.0.2 and ESX 3.01? Its not on their support matrix but does anyone know if it will work?

0 Kudos
BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Basically Its coming down to me either

1. downgrading my VC server to 2.0.1 which i dont know how well the database will fare so I can use VCB 1.0.2 or earier

2 Running VC 2.0.2, ESX 3.01 and VCB 1.0.2 which isnt on VMware's matrix and theirfore unsupported or

3. major upgrade/downtime to 3.0.2 and latest everything across the board.

How well do DRS clusters handle having one server at a higher rev during upgrades?

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't think there will be any problems with your DRS clusters.

How many ESX hosts are you dealing with?

In my opinion, you would be better-off upgrading all of you ESX hosts than you will be trying to downgrade your VC server/database. I'm not really sure if it is even possible to "downgrade" a VC database (unless by "downgrade" you mean restoring from backup).

Depending on the state of the patches on your ESX 3.0.1 servers, you can always justify "upgrading" to ESX 3.0.2 on the grounds of the "patch rollups" it contains.

I realize it is easy for me to "say" this, as I won't be the one doing the upgrades/it isn't my responsibility, but I really think that upgrading your ESX severs to 3.0.2 is the best option. FWIW...

###############

0 Kudos
BrianRTS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

I have a total of 8 ESX servers running 3.0.1 split into 2 DRS clusters (6 in one, 2 in other)

So assuming I move the VM's running on server A to the other nodes, I should be able to drop to maint mode then upgrade to 3.0.2 Update1.

Once server A is up, I can bring it back online, then do Server B... etc. I'm just concerned that DRS/HA might have an issue moving VM's from a 3.01 server to 3.0.2 and vice versa.

thanks for all the help

0 Kudos