VMware Cloud Community
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC 2.01 Patch 2 Problems

Hi,

Did an upgrade to Patch 2 when the upgrade prompts about the VC database is it meant to say replace or upgrade? Because when we ran the upgrade it said upgrade but then when you get to the VC database prompt it asks us if we are sure to REPLACE the database. So we went ahead and did this now when we go into VC we have lost everything all datacentres are gone and all hosts are gone.. We restored the DB from backup and went back into VC so its working again but now we are running VC 2.01 Patch 2 against a VC 2.01 Patch 1 database which im guessing isnt a good thing! Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

Packetboy..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
avarcher
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Not had the problem but agree - the patch us an upgrade and it should be clearer, I feel, that you need to take the option to keep the database, not[/b] the default of replace.

It's clarity of instruction that is the area for improvement here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
avarcher
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Not had the problem but agree - the patch us an upgrade and it should be clearer, I feel, that you need to take the option to keep the database, not[/b] the default of replace.

It's clarity of instruction that is the area for improvement here.

0 Kudos
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I just realised the same thing I couldnt remember the options at this screen so Im going through the install again. But yes I think your right I assumed if I said No to the question it would boot me out of the install but thats probably what I need to do. Yes the instruction should be a bit clearer like instead of replace the database why cant it say Would you like to upgrade the database seeing an upgrade is what I am performing!!

Ill update later...

0 Kudos
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok yup that was it I feel pretty stupid...

but geez im running an "upgrade" why not prompt me with would you like to "upgrade" your database with a "Yes"... not a would you like to "replace your database" then have to answer "No"..

0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Every time I install a VC 2.0 patch, that says it's going to upgrade VC 2.0, it marks the VMware Virtual Center Service for deletion, doesn't install the new one, and completely stuffs the upgrade.

Resulting in, a complete uninstall and re-install everytime.

(probably better off replacing the database, because VC 2.0 keeps corrupting the database anyway, and you constantly need to keep fixing it in single user mode, because of consistency issues)

0 Kudos
Anders
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ok yup that was it I feel pretty stupid...

Don't worry, we've all been there.

Good thing it; it only happens once... :smileygrin:

That option is a bit counter intuitive.

\- Anders

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah there are a bunch of posts here about users that have overwrote their VC database because they were confused. They should display a window stating "ARE YOU REALLY SURE YOU WANT TO WIPE OUT YOUR VC DATABASE AND LOSE ALL YOUR PREVIOUS DATA AND HAVE TO RESTORE IT FROM TAPE WHEN THE UPGRADE IS COMPLETE (Y/N)" if you choose that option.

0 Kudos
Anders
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I agree, it's not a very good dialog box...

\- Anders

0 Kudos