VMware Cloud Community
cybersnac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC 2.0 database installed into the Master database for SQL

It looks like the VC installation that I inherited was configured with the SQL 2000 Master database holding the tables for the VC installation. My question is, what is the best way to move the tables out of the Master database and into a VC only database?

Thanks,

MJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oschistad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually, it should be sufficient to create a new database, and copy the VPX_* tables from master into it. Then change the ODBC on your virtual center so that it uses the new virtual center database as its default ("change default database to" in the wizard).

This is actually a quite common issue and is caused by the fact that the virtual center wizard only prompts you for ODBC, and not specific database instance, during installation. If the ODBC does not explicitly reference a database, your virtual center tables will be created in the context of master. And yes, that is a Bad Thing. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK, first I am laughing with you, I am not laughing at you... I did this initially, and I talked to a DBA, after they fell over laughing, and realized I was a "NEWB" they said that the master tables should not mix with regular data, that's not good.

The best way to handle it is to start over. You said 2000, 2005 will give you a slightly better performance and stability.

It's going to be tough to move the tables out, they are recognizable, but save yourself some grief and start with a fresh database. Yeah I know how much work this is, I have done 3 times myself, and it's the best way to keep from having problems later.

We have 20 ESX hosts and 400+ VM's.. and moving these guys around takes a ton of patience and tedium.. but After its all said and done.. you will be much happier.

0 Kudos
oschistad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually, it should be sufficient to create a new database, and copy the VPX_* tables from master into it. Then change the ODBC on your virtual center so that it uses the new virtual center database as its default ("change default database to" in the wizard).

This is actually a quite common issue and is caused by the fact that the virtual center wizard only prompts you for ODBC, and not specific database instance, during installation. If the ODBC does not explicitly reference a database, your virtual center tables will be created in the context of master. And yes, that is a Bad Thing. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cybersnac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We ended up creating a new database and migrating the tables over. It actually wasn't too bad of task.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos