VMware Cloud Community
TheDonMiguel
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.0.2: Cannot use remote script in Customization Wizard

Hello

I'm using remote vb-scripts in the run once command of sysprep. Since the version 2.x this part of the vm customization wizard does not work. It starts only the cmd-window, without the second part of the command. This means, my script does not start.

I updated the infrastructure to v2.0.2. Since I've done this, we're not able to enter "\" in the "run once" window. The customization wizard does show an error:

Check if the name is properly formatted. Please use alphanumeric characters from a-z, A-Z and 0-9.[/i]

How can I use my remote vb-script like it was possible in VC 1.4?

Thanks,

Miguel

0 Kudos
7 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Remeber that if you use spacs you must quote!

If your command include spaces use double quotes in windows.

like exec "c:\My script.bat"

0 Kudos
TheDonMiguel
Contributor
Contributor

Hello masaki

I tried also the command with spaces. If I enter "c:\My script.bat"[/i] the same error appear. Does this work on your VC?

Thanks!

Miguel

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I didn't want you to enter spaces. Removing them would be better if you have any in the parameters.

Please gimme the parameters you entered for the customization.

0 Kudos
chimera
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. Never had this issue with 2.0.1 - I am trying to specify a full path to a batch file, as follows:

c:\script\startup.cmd

It does not like the backslashes - however this is a completely valid runonce entry for sysprep.

Must be a bug, anyone seen a patch for this specific issue???

Thanks

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hmm. Could be a bug.

Try using quoting " or ' try using path variables like %System root% or something else

0 Kudos
Andreas_Seemuel
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had the same issues. I did the following workaround. I created a batch file called master.cmd and put it to C:\windows\system32.

Afterwards I just specified master.cmd in the Customization Wizzard.

The master script itself executes other scripts via start /wait C:\somewhereElse\scriptForASpecificProblem.cmd

The major drawback of this workaround ist that the selection which scripts are executed is done in the template's operating system and not in the guest customization wizzard template.

With best regards

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The way around this bug without having to modify your templates etc is to manually edit the xml specification file.

1)Create a specification file, for the runonce, just enter the name of the file to run(no path)

2)In the VI Client, select Edit>Customization Specifications

3)Right-Click and export the spec file you want, edit the file locally and change the runonce to the full path of the file and save it

4)Using the Customization specifications window, import it back in.

0 Kudos