VMware Cloud Community
davidm3281
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.0.1 Upgrade to 2.5 and SQL

Hello, I have a default installation of VC 2.0.1 with 7 ESX 3.0.2 hosts; we just deployed ESX last January.

I am ready to begin upgrading to Virtual Center 2.5 and ESX 3.5 and did a pre-install of my Virtual Center host by copying its image backup.

First, I assumed that if I upgraded and elected to use SQL Express 2005, that it would transfer all my settings? I did not see where this actually happened. When upgrde finished, everything installed correctly, but there appears to be no data center, hosts, or licensing informtaion? ('m not sure about the license file information since I have the network cards disabled. I told setup to use the existing licensing server during testing...)

Secondly, I reverted back to my snapshot prior to upgrade and tried again, this time selecting to use an existing SQL Server. Of course, I didn't know the password and it looks like it prefers a SQL login versus an integrated login... Therefore, I logged into VC and changed the SQL password. I then tried the upgrade again and assumed the login was "VC". It appeared to work except for the non-support MSDE message which promptly aborted the upgrade.

What are my options here?

The default MSDE upgrade doesn't allow remote logins, which makes this difficult to go in and create another login, etc.

If anyone can offer me any insight or assistance, I'd appreciate it before I attempt to do this on my production system.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well first you should never use a local database for this. For one database inside a VM isn't good performance, and another SQL Express is not the supported way to host the database.

You should find a SQL DBA somewhere in your organization, to help with migrating the SQL Express database. You should be able to import into a SQL 2005 Standard instance, but a SQL DBA can do this for you easier.

Then you should use a stand alone physical server to host your VC environment. If you have a large organization, you can probably just use an Existing SQL instance, SQL is very powerful, and it can host many databases/tables at once.

You need your password to access to existing data, if you don't know it you can look inside the SQL Express data, but again a DBA can do this for you.

Bottom line is you should start over anyway with a new database. If you don't have many permissions or special resource pools rebuilding it should not take that long.

> The default MSDE upgrade doesn't allow remote logins, which makes this difficult to go in and create another login, etc.

You can login remotely you can't use SQL Express for remote SQL agents.

0 Kudos
davidm3281
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

However, I do not seem to be having any performance issues. I mean, we only have 7 ESX servers and the VM that its on (running on another physical box running VM Server) is hardly busy.

I simply used the default installation when I setup VC initially. The installer allowed me to install MSDE and I do not recall it saying it couldn't be used for production or anything.

Now with the 2.5 upgrade, it looks like it doesn't want to even deal with it and wants me to upgrade. I am the DBA, but I do not recall the installer giving me a choice as to what SQL Login to use nor its password. I believe it was all hardcoded in the installer.

Be that as it may, I suppose I can backup the database, move it to another SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 box, create a SQL login and make it DBO of the database, go back to VC and change DSN to point to new database (I didn't see an option where I could tell it what SQL Login name to use... so I guess its using Integrated here...) All in all, I find this a bunch of crap.

What do I lose by just building a SQL 2005 Express database? I have to recreate data cente, re-add hosts, and what else? I lose all my history?

Finally, you suggested that I not use SQL 2005 Express but should use Standard. Again, why are they giving me the option? It says "suitable for small scale deployment". I beieve that I what I did for MSDE as well...??

Thanks again --

0 Kudos
davidm3281
Contributor
Contributor

One last comment --

If I have to go back to re-add and configure everything, it sounds like I might be better off building another W2K3 machine that is clean without MSDE rather than keep my existing one around??

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> Be that as it may, I suppose I can backup the database, move it to another SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 box, create a SQL login and make it DBO of the database, go back to VC and change DSN to point to new database (I didn't see an option where I could tell it what SQL Login name to use... so I guess its using Integrated here...) All in all, I find this a bunch of crap.

Well you may not have performance issues, but that doesn't mean your environment won't grow to that level, so its better to be prepared. And yes the configuration is controlled by the settings in the DSN. You could simply shut off the service, change the DSN configuration parameters including the database password, and then restart the service. The VC service would have no clue any changes were made. It just needs to know which DSN is the one referrenced to connect to its own database.

You don't lose much, but SQL Express is meant to be local, and basically SQL Express is limited in size and some other functions, but I just like to use the real mccoy rather than some included free version.

If you rebuild its just like starting new, but if you have a SQL 2005 database already adding this VC instance won't intrude, except that the new database server would prove a bit more stable and probably more reponsive. Other than that, using SQL Express may not pose a problem, but I don't trust it for anything other than programmers that can do testing with.

0 Kudos
middave
Contributor
Contributor

I had almost the exact same situation, not to redundant but here's what I had to go thru:

1.) Had my DBA create an Instance / database on an External SQL Server

2.) Reinstalled VC 2.0.2 and pointed my VC 2.0.2 to the SQL Server, it then created all of the new tables, you have to give your new SQL user the necessary rights, (IE dbo)

3.) Added all of my Hosts back into the VC, I only had 6 esx hosts, all of the VMs were fine, I just had to add my hosts.

4.) Downloaded Native SQL server client, VC 2.5 requiriement

5.) Confirmed I could connect remotely to the SQL Server

6.) Performed the upgrade - VC 2.5

7.) Had problem with my HA erroring out. Disabled HA on the Cluster and Renable it - that fixed that problem.

0 Kudos
davidm3281
Contributor
Contributor

Hi --

I got this working last night, but was a bit painful.

1) I installed SQL 2005 Std on my VC server (I already had MSDE installed as a named instance... so no conflicts here)

2) I backed up the VCDB from MSDE

3) I logged into SQL 2005 Std and restored the VCDB from my backup.

4) I created a new user, named vmxadmin and made him DBO. However, I later found out that didn't matter.... see below

5) Stopped VC

6) I then change the DSN to point to the new SQL 2005 Std instance. I tried entering a SQL username/password instead of using integrated security; which was what MSDE was using. Looking at the MSDE sp_who, it showed that VC was using "NT AUTHORITY\System" account for the login... I assume this login was only working because BUILTIN\Administrators were SysAdmin role.

7) I tried to restart VC and it would fail. I tried running vmxp -p option to assign a password and restarting VC, but it still did not work. I then went back to DSN setings and changed login to use integrated security

😎 I then tried restarting VC and it worked!

9) After I confirmed everything was working, I then proceeded with the VC 2.5 upgrade. I selected to use existing SQL installation and then receied errors that the SQL login (vmxadmin that I creaed earlier) did not have permission or was denied. Which didn't make any sense. I then had to create a new DSN because it complained that I couldn't use "SQL Driver" from MSDE and must use new "SQL Native" driver for SQL 2005 Std. I also had to change authentication to use integreated before VC 2.5 SETUP would continue. It would continually tell me access denied. Really strange and I still don't understand how I would tell VC what SQL login to use.

10) After the upgrade, it then went thru and upgraded my database schema.

11) When upgrade was completely finished, I launched VI client.

12) It then proceeded to disable HA on all esx hosts and update the VC-agent on each host. Wow! I wasn't expecting this and was crossing my fingers that nothing broke!!!!! Thanks for the notification at the end of SETUP that there was more to happen!

13) After VC-agents were installed, HA reconfiguration basically failed on all hosts. I did a Google search and found that others had same problems. Some reported just disconnected/reconnecting the host would fix the problem. Not me. I had to remove HA from the cluster and re-add.

14) Everything now seems to be done. The only thing left is some addtional cleanup. I see "migrating" a VM now throws up what looks like an error if a "USB Controller" is set within a VM. So I need to remove all these. The cluster group now shows host has no management network redundancy errors on the summary tab of the cluster.

That's about it --

If anyone knows what my VC requires NT AUTHENTICATION\System instead of me creating my owl SQL login and making it DBO of the VCDB, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know how I can change this......

Thanks!

0 Kudos
postmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

If i see, you have created a new fresh db on a external server through the VC version 2.0.2. VC recreates for you the tables in the DB ?

Then only adding the ESX hosts the the virtual new infrastructure can retrieve all the configuration ? (In my case I have some Virtual switches, differents Vlan and so).i it possible to do as you explain and without restoring the actual db in production ?

What about the licenses ?

thanks

0 Kudos
davidm3281
Contributor
Contributor

To be honest. I dunno

1) would think you'd have to re-add your hosts and re-create the data center cluster

2) I assume you'd connecdt to an existing licensing server... so those settings would still be there (maybe not stored in database)

3) I think yor vswitches and whatnot would still be there, because those are configured on each ESX host and wouldn't be saved within virtual center

0 Kudos
postmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Your confirm that I can start with a new Db on a new server with VC 2.5 using the same license server.

Than in the console just re add all my ESX host to recover the all configuration ? (configuration about alert and so must be lost for me it's not he more important).

fr

0 Kudos