VMware Cloud Community
jade_
Contributor
Contributor

Using vmbk.pl (2.5.x) and VC2

I have noticed behavior with vmbk.pl and VC2 in regards to volumes that have backups turned off. When a guest is vmotioned, the vmx gets re-written on the target ESX host, and it strips out any \~irrelevant~ data, such as the "SCSIX:Y.BACKUP = NONE" flags.

The resulting behavior is that all volumes attached to a VM get backed up. Manual changes can be made to the VMX to prevent this, but they are again wiped out when the host gets vMotioned.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Are their any work arounds?

This is specifically related to 2.5 hosts running under VC2. I have not tested under 3.0, but do not expect similar behavior as the VMX files stay in a persistent location (unless specifically moved).

Thanks in advace!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jade_
Contributor
Contributor

\~BUMP~

can anyone respond to this thread? Is it filed in the wrong place? I find it hard to believe that no one else is experiencing this issue.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
jade_
Contributor
Contributor

Marking answered because I figured it out for myself months ago and never updated the post. The short is no there is nothing you can do to prevent the behavior. I suspect that later releases of VMBK.pl may handle this, but I have since moved away from that model. Good luck to you if you run into similiar issues ;->

0 Kudos