vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Using VC Appliance with AD

Posted Oct 11, 2012 02:20 PM

Can anyone elaborate on what level user needs to be used to add AD to the VC appliance?

2 (Optional) Select Active Directory Enabled to enable an Active Directory server for the VMware vCenter
    Server Appliance.

Is this a domain admin?  I would think it needs only a read-only user in AD to add?

• 2.  RE: Using VC Appliance with AD

Posted Oct 11, 2012 02:38 PM

Hi,

doesn't the User input field in the vCenter Appliance setup windows say "Administrator user"?!

dutch24 wrote:

I would think it needs only a read-only user in AD to add?

If you want to add something you need write permission of course :smileyhappy:

You will need to insert an domain administrator account, just like with every other computer you want to add to your AD.

Regards

• 3.  RE: Using VC Appliance with AD

Posted Oct 11, 2012 02:57 PM

I may be reading the "tone" of your response incorrectly, but not sure the exclamation point is needed at the end of the first sentence.  I was thinking about the Addition of AD in terms of the SSO server querying against AD for user/groups etc.., not the addition of it to the domain.  I would rather no response at all than a condescending one.

• 4.  RE: Using VC Appliance with AD
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 11, 2012 03:34 PM

Sorry if my answer came across strange. But you never mentioned SSO, nor the vCenter appliance version number you are using, so I just assumed you wanted to add the appliance to the AD, which will ask in the setup page for an administrator account.

Regards

• 5.  RE: Using VC Appliance with AD

Posted Oct 11, 2012 05:01 PM

NP, I don't think I worded my question well.  Looks like I am going to have to add an identity source - I was getting the two AD add items (authenticaion/identity source) mixed up.  Trying to run through and get a list of all the things that the VC appliance cannot do (role replication etc.).  Any idea about a list of limitations around using the VC appliance and SSO in a larger environment (9+ VCs)?