VMware Cloud Community
mmatzko
Contributor
Contributor

Uploading ISO's through firewall

I have 3 ESX servers in a Resource Pool in VC2.5. I have a firewall between my corporate network and my virtual center network. I have a management lan on the corporate side and have a rule which allows everything from the management lan through to the virtual center network (and corresponding ESX servers).

When I try to upload an ISO from a PC on the management VLAN (through the firewall), I get an error "Unable to Logon to NPC". However, I can upload the ISO directly from the virtual center PC so I know it is not an ESX, VC or SAN issue.

I should add that the management VLAN pc and user are on a different domain from the VC network. However, I have given myself Administrator permissions on the Data Center level so that should not be an issue.

I do not see any drops on the firewall either.

Any thoughts?

Michael

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Where and how are you trying to upload the ISO to? If you can do from the machines on the network behind the firewall it sound like a problem with firewall settings -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mmatzko
Contributor
Contributor

I agree however I have an ANY:ANY rule on the firewall. That's why I'm confused.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What are you trying to connect to - NAS Device, FTP Server, the ESX Hosts, the windows server hosting vc?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mmatzko
Contributor
Contributor

I am running the Infrastructure client on the PC on the management lan. I can manage everything on the ESX servers and the VC server with the exception above. If I try to upload an ISO to my data store using the Infrastructure client connected the the VC (the ISO is on the managment PC, I get the error above. However, I can upload it fine if I rdp to the VC box, download the ISO and then upload it.

It sounds like there is some extra security when you actually load a data file to the SAN via the VC client however I can't determine what that is.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

When uploading form the vc machine are you uploading via the vi client?

0 Kudos
mmatzko
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - I use the vi client on both machines - it works on the VC PC but not the PC on the management LAN. I assume this is something with the firewall but can't figure out what since there is an ANY:ANY.

0 Kudos