VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrading vCenter to 64bit

I am about to upgrade vcenter server from version 4 to version 4.1 and i have a few quick questions. I am a little concerned about the database portion of the upgrade. We currently have the database on a remote windows 2003 server and i was curious what, if anything, i need to do to the database if i use the DataMigration tool? I already have a new 64bit server ready to go but i'm a bit curious what needs to be done to the database and is it ok to point the new 64bit vCenter to teh 32bit SQL server? any help is appreciated. Thanks for a great site!

Perry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is remote. Got it! Does the same apply for the update mgr database? Thanks again.

Yes, but VUM requires a 32bit DSN

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the DB is remote, there really isn't anything you need to do to the DB. During the install just use existing DB. You'll need to install a 64bit DSN, configure and test that.

32bit SQL as your backend is supported for 4.1, but at somepooint, you may want to consider upgrading your SQL Server to 64bit as well.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Back it up!

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy. So is there going to be any problems using the Datamigration tool to perform this upgrade?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you said the DB instance is remote, yes? If so, there is no need to use the Data Migration Tool. That is used for SQL Express to SQL Express.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes it is remote. Got it! Does the same apply for the update mgr database? Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, but VUM requires a 32bit DSN

0 Kudos