VMware Cloud Community
ChrisI88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading vCenter 4.0.2 to 4.1.1

Current:

vCenter 4.0.2 on a Windows 2003 R2 sp2 x64

SQL server is on a separate server running 2005 SP3 x64

I want to move/upgrade..migrate my vcenter server to version 4.1.1 (4.1 update1) to a Windows 2008 (non R2) x64 server.

Q1) Can I just do a fresh install of 4.1.1 on the 2k8 server and point it to the existing SQL Server ?

Q2) Will it update the DB when I point to it durning the install ?

I'm figuring that the current vcenter server will need to be shutdown in order for the new install to work correctly. Upgrading the DB that is.

This is all in preparation of moving to ESXi 4.1 update 1 from 4.0 update 2 at some point.

Is there anything that I might nered to do first ? or that I have forgotten ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Q1) Yes

Q2) Yes it willupdate the database

Check out http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf for more information

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Agree with weinstein here - though I strongly recommend that you backup your SQL server and also shut down your current VC before starting the process.

In addition, if your new host is being built under a different hostname / ip address, your ESX hosts will need to be re-attached to the VC.

the upugrade guide above does a good job of walking you through the whole process though - followit and you should (will) be fine.

good luck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
ChrisI88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks weinstein5 and bulletprooffool, I was hoping I was on the right track.   Most information I did get through the guide you stated but there's always something the guides just don't cover. They can't cover every situation, ther's just too many.  Bulletprooffool thanks for the insight on the reconnecting the hosts.  I wouldn't have thought of that.

Thanks again this has been very helpful.

0 Kudos