VMware Cloud Community
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading to ESX 3.5 and VC2.5

We currently have 8 ESX servers and 1 virtual centre. We have 2 main sites, so we have created a datacentre for each site. Each datacentre has 4 ESX Servers. The ESX Server version we have is ESX V3.0.2 update 1 and the virtual centre version we have is V.2.0.2 update 2.

We now want to upgrade to the latest version ESX 3.5 update 1 and VC 2.5 update 2.

I need to setup a project plan for this upgrade. First question is can the new version VC2.5 update 2 handle ESX V3.0.2 update 1, as we are thinking of upgrading virtual centre first.

Also regarding the ESX upgrade, we are thinking of doing a clean install of ESX servers, where we migrate VM;s off one ESX server and then do the freash install of the ESX server. Is it better to do a clean install than an upgrade.

Also has anyone did a upgrade of vmware this way. Can someone give their ideas on what should be a good path to upgrade our vmware environment.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi - what you are planning is spot on.

Upgrade your VirtualCenter and license server first. Then do a clean new install as you mentioned as opposed to an upgrade if possible and then transfer your VM's over. This is the method I use - works great.

Make sure you backup your VC database first as I'm sure you're aware.

0 Kudos
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If we upgrade our VC to V2.5 update 2 first, can it handle the ESX V 3.0.2 update 1, or do the ESX servers have to be upgraded immediatley to V2.5

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes it can handle that version of ESX - you don't have to upgrade your hosts either........ however you should for all the bug fixes, new features and feature enhancements:D. In other words..... you can upgrade your hosts whenever you are ready.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey Guv,

VC2.5 can manage both ESX 3.0 and 3.5.

This upgrade document should help you along

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_upgrade_guide.pdf

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Forgot to mention...... upgrade to VC 2.5 U3 (not update 2). Update 3 contains bug fixes.

0 Kudos
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If we upgrade to VC2.5 update3, can it still handle ESX V3.0.2 update 1. I read somewhere we may have to install some patch on the ESX servers to get it working with VCVC2.5 update3

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes it can still work - and yes two patches are required. See page 2

0 Kudos