vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 05, 2013 09:24 PM

I got a warning about the VM becoming unstable when I added more memory, are you not supposed to add memory to a VM?  I shot it down before I added.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 09:42 AM

The amount of memory you may provision for a VM depends on its requirements and of course on the guest OS used. E.g. most 32-bit guests can only use/access up to 4GB of memory.

André

• 3.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 01:02 PM

Ya, I know about the amount of RAM vs OS, just didn't know with VMware, if you could add RAM to a VM after it was built.

• 4.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 06, 2013 01:05 PM

That's no problem at all. You can basically change all the VM's settings at any time. For some of the settings you do not even need to power off the VM (again, this may depend on the guest OS).

André

• 5.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 01:20 PM

thank you

• 6.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 01:34 PM

If you enable Hot add and Hot plug for CPU and memory you can add them on the fly even when the VM is running. Same goes to hard disk and also Network card. They can all be added on the fly :smileyhappy:

• 7.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 04:19 PM

"Hot add and Hot plug" this is located where?

• 8.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 04:28 PM

The settings can be changed in the VM's settings (Options tab). However, keep in mind that the guest OS needs to support this too. Other wise it will blue screen/panic.

André

• 9.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 06:20 PM

Thank you again. I guess the last thing is, how do you look OS that support, google Hot add and Hot plug OS compatibility?

• 10.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 06:26 PM

• 11.  RE: Upgrading a VMs memory.

Posted Oct 06, 2013 04:32 PM

You will find it in options tab of VM edit setting